Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KAWASAKI MULE 550 slips on Hills when hot!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAWASAKI MULE 550 slips on Hills when hot!

Yesterday, 01:00 PM
I have a mule 550 and when it gets hot it will not pull a hill. I have rebuilt the driven clutch ( new clutch spring, new pads, new ramp), new drive belt and nothing has helped. It will drive great and pull Hills fine until the mule gets hot, then it just slips and won't go. I rebuilt the driven clutch based on what a kawasaki tech told me when I described symptoms. Any ideas? Is it the front clutch?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you put it in low range on hills? If not, that's the single most important thing to do to keep the clutches from getting heated up. If not, I'm not sure what would cause that other than the clutch or a glazed belt.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

My mule 550 has only forward, neutral and reverse. No low. It has a differential lock. That's it.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm like moose, either there is a glazed belt or the clutch is not fully engaging & not stretching the belt good enough. How worn are the sheaves? Can you take the cover off & safely observe the cvt action?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

First thing I did was replaced the belt. That did not correct it. Then I inspected and rebuilt the rear (driven clutch) new spring, pads and ramp (all was worn, ramp was grooved out). I'm thinking possibly either I glazed the new belt before I rebuilt the rear clutch or else the front clutch is my problem. It does great around my house but when I take it to the campground we stay at, it will not pull the hills after it gets hot. Does fine cold.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Belts do strange things once heated/stretched.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wish I could figure out how to post a pic on here. I took it back apart. I'm wondering if I had the spring in the correct hole on the bottom or tyranny side of the clutch ramp. It has 3 holes. I didn't pay attention to which one it was in to start with so I put it in the middle hole. I did notice that when I was driving it after I rebuilt clutch that when I let off accelerator going down a hill it was holding back like an engine brake on a diesel. I haven't had this mule long so I really don't know how it is supposed to work when correct. Also the belt pulls screws off in 2 pieces and one side looks black like it is burnt or has belt reminance on it. Should I sand it off with an orbital sander or replace it, "or is that even an option. I'm no mule mechanic but I do most my stuff myself.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Larry S
I wish I could figure out how to post a pic on here. I took it back apart. I'm wondering if I had the spring in the correct hole on the bottom or tyranny side of the clutch ramp. It has 3 holes. I didn't pay attention to which one it was in to start with so I put it in the middle hole. I did notice that when I was driving it after I rebuilt clutch that when I let off accelerator going down a hill it was holding back like an engine brake on a diesel. I haven't had this mule long so I really don't know how it is supposed to work when correct. Also the belt pulls screws off in 2 pieces and one side looks black like it is burnt or has belt reminance on it. Should I sand it off with an orbital sander or replace it, "or is that even an option. I'm no mule mechanic but I do most my stuff myself.
you should be able to make an album under your profile. We can go there for viewing your pics, I think you're going to have like 10-20 posts before you can put pics in your post. I've never sanded one before. Try it maybe, worst case scenario is you'd have to replace it. Look at some microfiche on a reputable Kawasaki dealer site or Rocky Mountain atv or bike bandit or one of the forum's sponsors website for parts schematics & you may be able to tell on spring orientation.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"the belt pulls screws off in 2 pieces and one side looks black like it is burnt or has belt reminance on it. Should I sand it off with an orbital sander".
Don't go anywhere near the variator with power tools, if you need to sand something, use fairly fine emery cloth and by hand. Just one point, have you checked that the Mule rolls free when out of gear, particularly hot as, if the brakes are sticking, it causes drag and may be putting a lot of strain on the belt.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

It does roll freely but the previous owner told me that his granddaughter was bad to drive it with the emergency brake on. The outer side of the rear pulley was black. I thought it was painted at first but it was black melted belt. I lightly buffed it with a da sander and 320 grit sandpaper. I resurfaced it. I haven't got it back together yet. I figure it's worth a try. If it don't work I'll replace them. I will update. Thanks

Quick Reply: KAWASAKI MULE 550 slips on Hills when hot!