Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2015/16 brute force 750 vs grizzly 700

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015/16 brute force 750 vs grizzly 700

I am looking at buying a new 2015/2016 grizzly or brute force. I can't decide which one is best for me. I ride in alabama woods. It's mostly thick and muddy but there are alot of spots where you can acually hit 60mph. I'm trying to figure out which one is faster, can get through worse (or better) situations, climbing hills and most importantly RELIABILITY!! I'm interested in what yall have to say

Old 09-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd pick the Grizzly but I'm a bit biased towards Yamaha. The Brute Force is a great quad too. The Brute Force is probably a little faster as well, v-twin engines generally make more hp on top end. Here's a video of a stock 2015 Brute Force, it topped out at 71 mph
The 2016 Grizzly has the new 708cc engine that was also in the Wolverine R Spec, a little more power than the 2015's 686cc engine. I know the older 686cc Grizzly only got you to about 65 mph, I assume the 708cc will get you a little more than that but probably be hard pressed to match 71 mph. It comes down to which one you like best. I'd give both a test ride and then you will have a better idea of which one you like. Reading specs and reviews and watching videos can never replace actually getting seat time on the machine to feel for yourself. Either one of them would be a solid choice.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2014 tops out just over 60 mph - only did that once - maybe it will go faster - I know it wont come close to 71 mph

Old 09-17-2015, 05:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Maybe the 2015 models got a bit of a boost on top end. It is a youtube video so there is no way to verify if someone is telling the truth or not. All I know is that the speedo says 71 mph and the owner claims its a stock 2015 Brute Force. I couldn't seem to find a video for top speed on a 2016 Grizzly though. They've only been available for about a month or so.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It possibly could have a higher top speed but I would be willing to bed it was done with gearing and not the engine.

If that's the case they traded top speed for the low end response that has always set the Brute Force apart from the other ATVs. The low end instantaneous throttle response is the biggest reason I bought a BF.

I had a 2012 Polaris 850 Touring demo and hit 78 mph here at 6000 ft with only 200 miles on it. I'm sure after putting 1200 miles on it would have done 80+. It was extremely unstable at that kind of mph.

If its top speed you're looking for I'd look at some sport quads.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If speed is your thing the twin will be smoother at maintaining it. Like I say, if your in a situation where you can get over 30 mph then most likely a truck could come along and it takes the purpose a ATV away.

I have friends with big ATVs who like riding at 50 mph on wide smooth logging roads all day, every corner you wonder if a logging truck or car is coming the other way or a pickup truck is on your tail. Not fun for me.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the point of having a quad that is capable of higher hp and top end speed is not so you can go out and run 70 mph. The point is, if it can go that fast, then slower speeds are easier to obtain as opposed to a quad that is working its guts out to go 50 mph top speed. That 50 mph quad is still sweating to go 40 mph while the 70 mph quad is just putting along. It depends a lot on where you ride. Yes, if the trails are tight, high speed may seldom be important. But if you do ride where sometimes the trails open up or you can rip on some wide open gravel roads, its fun to be able to really rip on a more powerful machine. You can always go slower on a faster machine but you can't make a slow machine go fast. That's why I strayed away from Honda. Honda builds very reliable utility quads but they are not fast. The Yamaha Grizzly 660, which came out in 2002, is still more powerful and faster than any utility 4x4 quad Honda makes to this day. They have had 14 years to catch up and they're still behind, farther behind in fact at this point. Every manufacturer at this point builds a machine more powerful and faster than a Grizzly 660 except Honda. There are 1000cc machines capable of 80+mph. At some point performance needs to become a priority for Honda. The Pioneer 1000 utv is a step in the right direction but even that was a bit of a compromise that could have been much better.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

Top speeds are mostly indicative of horse power. A Brute 750 at sea level produces more horsepower than a Brute 750 at 5000 feet of elevation (for example), and therefore will attain a higher top speed.

As for the 2016 Grizz or the 2016 BF, I would say the same as others; go ride them both and decide. For me, I will probably never go back to a single cylinder engined atv. They just don't have the smoothness, the continuity of power, or immediate thrust of a v-twin. Not to mention the roar of the twin vs. the wet flatulence sound of a big single.

The 2016 Grizz got some much needed refinements and upgrades this year, but I'm not sure if they're enough for me to jump back on the single cylinder seat again. Bottom line: the Brute is just too dang much fun to ride!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd have to see if the new 708cc engine is really that much more powerful than the 686cc engine it replaced. I have never ridden an efi Brute Force either, only an older carb one. My guess is that the 2016 Grizzly will hang with the Brute Force up until about 30-35 mph and then the v-twin will hit its powerband and start to slowly creep away. They're basically the same price as well. There are others you could look at as well like the Can-Am Outlander 650, which has more power than either of these. Here's a deal at a local dealer near me on a new 2015 Outlander 650 with power steering for $7999, that's a heck of a deal on a new Can-Am 2015 Can-Am® Outlander? DPS® 650 Stock: FJ000157 | Holzhauer Pro Motorsports. Maybe you can find something like this near you. I'd pick an Outlander 650 over either of those. For $900 more, they had an Outlander 800 with power steering as well http://www.holzhauerpromotorsports.c...=xNewInventory which give you even more power. If power is your thing, the Grizzly and Brute Force will both fall short of Can-Am. I love Yamaha myself for their reliability but a v-twin Grizzly is long overdue.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

All good points. As has been said, the Brute Force will have more power and higher top end. Smoother with a twin than a single cylinder thumper. Brute will also have a stronger launch than the Grizzly. I'd give a slight nod to Yamaha for reliability. Both are good all around machines. If you can, give both a spin to see which you like better. For mud power is key. You want to be able to get your tires to spin the mud out in the thick stuff. Only thing I don't care for with the BF is the yellow lever you have to pull to get the front end fully locked. I've been in situations where the left side of my quad was deep in a rut in the mud and I've had to stand on the right footwell to keep it from tipping. Not convenient to reach over to the left handlebar to hole that lever. I understand there is an aftermarket lock available to keep it pulled in when you want. The Grizzly uses a 3 step process. You put it in 4wd by pushing a button. To lock the front end in you push the button all the way in and move a lever. Then, you're fully locked.

Quick Reply: 2015/16 brute force 750 vs grizzly 700