Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

220 bayou rear diff drain bolt broke. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 220 bayou rear diff drain bolt broke. Help?

hey guys I literally just changed my rear end oil and need help. My drain bolt broke inside me rear diff when I was putting it back on and was wondering how to get the piece out or how much it would cost for a macanic to do it. It is not leaking at the moment but probably will in about a year. Will I have to take the rear diff off and remove axel and drill it out? I'm really mad this had to happen considering I just had it off the other day to check the oil level and put it on smoothly. Someone help?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Try to fish the broken part out with a magnet....be patient with it as the magnet is going to try to keep pulling towards the gears....just keep fishing, you will get it.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

It's not in the gears it's just in the threads. Doesn't effect anything just wondering how to get it out for the next oil change.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Ross.B
It's not in the gears it's just in the threads. Doesn't effect anything just wondering how to get it out for the next oil change.
Oh... If you can't get a pair of Vice Grips on it ( broken off flush ) then either try an "easy out" or drill it out and re-tap it....

Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Ya, if you can use a small drill and make a hole in the center of the broken bolt then get an easy out and try to back out the broken piece. If it is cross threaded it may not unscrew so it would have to be drilled out completely then rethreaded. If the latter be sure to flush out the diff case and refill with clean diff lube. If push comes to shove a slightly larger plug can be tapped to fit in that hole, you should have room for it.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the options guys I appreciate it. I think it is cross threaded so it will have to be drilled out. If I took the diff off and brought it to a shop how much would it cost to go get it drilled and retapped? Hopefully it last another year as is but would like to know for the future.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to drill it out with an electric hand drill. Try center punching the center as close as possible then start with a smaller drill bit to drill thru then follow up with a larger drill bit until you get to the correct tap drill size for the new threaded plug you are going to install. You probably need to find a replacement screw/plug first so that you will know what size to drill so the hole can be threaded. No sense in drilling any larger than needed. If my memory is any good you should have room to do this, the skid plate may need to be removed to get it out of the way.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah could do it without taking it off but all that little **** would get in the diff and I don't have the tools or education to do it myself. I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing fix it. Also I would like to shock over the bearings inside sense the bike is an 88 and I doubt they have been replaced in the rear end. Not wheel bearings I have to replace one of those soon too.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you would definetly need to flush and refill the diff to get the shavings out.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Ross.B
Yeah could do it without taking it off but all that little **** would get in the diff and I don't have the tools or education to do it myself. I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing fix it. Also I would like to shock over the bearings inside sense the bike is an 88 and I doubt they have been replaced in the rear end. Not wheel bearings I have to replace one of those soon too.
The trick to drilling is keep alot of grease on the drill bit and drill slowly....the grease "captures" the shavings, not to mention that if its the drain...gravity is working on your side....and if careful, little to no shavings would get into the diff....

Quick Reply: 220 bayou rear diff drain bolt broke. Help?