Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX 400, Help Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation KFX 400, Help Needed.

First off I should say that at the moment my mechanical inclination is very minimal however I am very eager to learn (that's why I bought this project bike). So please if you mention a part be specific so If I dont know what it is I can google it xD.

I recently acquired a KFX 400 that has previously been set up for jumping with a K@N highflow air filter, Custom (I think) Front and rear suspension and arms for a wider stance, Pro taper bars and a two brothers exhaust (not sure if its a slip on or full system.) Basically everything besides the OEM fairings and two parts of the frame are aftermarket making figuring out exactly what year/model the bike is difficult for a beginner like myself.
It was a very good deal so I had to pick it up as a project bike, even though it was not running at the time.

I think its a 2003-2006 but would like to have someone else that knows more then I do confirm that before I go out and buy anything for it. I have also read that that bike type has many swap-able parts with equivalent year and model types from Suzuki and Yamaha, Is this true and if so what type of parts?

Problems it had/has:
There was a hole on the outermost engine casing on the chain side that would spew gas when we got the engine to run, (probably caused by the chain flinging off at some point.) However I filled it with JB weld and sanded that down. Seems to be no more problem there as far as I can tell.

The fuel line has been replaced by a Briggs and Stratton line as well as filter, I am not sure if this is even optimal but either way I need/want to replace that with an appropriate part, However I have No idea what to look for.

When we can get the engine to turn on we have to feed it quite a large amount of gas to keep it running, to the point where you cant downshift properly without stalling. I will be cleaning the corroborator out this weekend and hopefully that fixes the problem but if not what else can I try?

The right and side front tire has a patch in it that leeks so that I can only hold 20PSI of the 30-35 recommended on the tire, I would assume you should run your tires at 10 below the recommendation anyways but the tires could have more tread anyways so what the heck Ill replace them eventually. What tire would you guys recommend for mostly dirt/gravel with some shallow mud and pavement mixed in from time to time? Looking for a decent priced all rounder tire set (preferably fronts and rears.)

Now then, the biggest problem (most expensive probably xD) I have with the bike. The previous owner snapped the swing arm bolt in the middle of the bike somehow (located above the Foot shifter.) I have gotten it out, however I assume there are bearings in there somewhere and I dont know how to tell if any of them have been damaged and would like to avoid pulling the whole thing apart if possible.
I could weld the Swing arm bolt, Thingy back together and sand it down to tolerance but would prefer to avoid that type of fix unless the proper fix is totally unreasonably priced. What would you recommend?

Now then, I can find the bloody choke on this bike. Ive looked everywhere I think it should be and just cant find it. Is it electronic or something? I see a place where it looks like it should have been on the handle bars next to the clutch lever but there's nothing there anymore and I cant find any cable or inlet for it on the engine. Please information on this conundrum would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my long list of questions and for your recommendations! Its all in the pursuit of education xD

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Ok, tire pressure is way too much. Think I ran my kfx at 8-10psi.

Choke is on the left hand side of the handle bars. A small lever if I remember correctly.

Look at the vin # on the left side of the frame. 10th digit will be the year. Looking at the shocks, it's definitely pre 06.

If you're going to be working on this yourself, the best investment you can make is a factory service manual. Might be able to find someone here who has one, or get one fairly cheap on ebay.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update:
I have done some checks on the Vin # as was suggested, Thanks for that @Scootergptx. It seems The bike isn't even a KFX as I had thought, Its a KSF. However my year guess was spot on as it was built in the 11th month of 2003 and sold as a 2004 Kawasaki Ksf400. Ive never heard of a KSF model bike could someone clear this up for me?

Also If someone has a factory service manual for this bike (or heck even something extremely close,) I would be happy to buy it off of you for a fair price.

I have Torn the bike apart, The Carb was absolutely filthy, I am shocked it even ran at all. Filthy but nothing broken so far as I can tell, yay for that!
one of the front wheel bearings is gone and the other is close behind it. Need to replace at least one, probably both for the bike to be safe. The Rims could easily be replaced as one is fairly banged up and the other has a few dents in it, Nothing too bad and I can drive it on them but if rims can be found cheep I want them.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

My 2006 model was, on paper, a kfs model as well.

What it really is, Suzuki ltz 400. Kawasaki made a deal with Suzuki to sell the ltz, rebadged as a kfs/kfx. Plastic is different, parts are the same. I

A Suzuki manual will work.

DOWNLOAD 2003-2008 Suzuki LT-Z400 LTZ400 Repair Manual | Exmanual.com

Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by scootergptx
My 2006 model was, on paper, a kfs model as well.

What it really is, Suzuki ltz 400. Kawasaki made a deal with Suzuki to sell the ltz, rebadged as a kfs/kfx. Plastic is different, parts are the same. I

A Suzuki manual will work.

DOWNLOAD 2003-2008 Suzuki LT-Z400 LTZ400 Repair Manual | Exmanual.com
Thank you again.

Everywhere I look rear calipers are super expensive, is there a parts store I should be aware of? I have been looking on BikeBandit and RockyMountainATV mostly.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I should also ask, How much wiggle can there be in the control arm bushings? I am able to shake mine around quite a bit and have found bushings for them online so I assume I should replace those but I'm not sure how urgent it is.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I'd check ebay for parts. If you've got it apart, I'd go ahead and do the bushings.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, replace the bushings. There shouldn't be much play in them. Not sure about Suzuki, but some oem use a lower grade plastic for the bushings thay wears out quickly, and usually aftermarket delrin stuff will be much more durable.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome, thanks. I am Having a hard time finding the procedure to Check the Oil or even findout what Oil it takes. If anyone knows it would be nice, (gotta get me one of those Manuals here in a day or two.)

Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Newer model, same process.

Quick Reply: KFX 400, Help Needed.