Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou won't come off idle - dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou won't come off idle - dies

Ok so a 1988 KLF300 Bayou. I got this from my sister and she said it runs great but smokes like a freight train. So I dragged it home to give it a look over. Figured first thing was to get it running. Once I washed the barn dirt off of it from sitting for years I popped the carb off. Yep it was pretty gunked. So I bought a reproduction off ebay and put it on. Fresh gas and she fired up. Yep smoked like a freight train but it was running.

Out came the motor and I sent the cylinder out and got it bored. So new piston, rings and timing chain. Cleaned it up and put it back together. Moment of truth. So it starts and will idle at a high idle with choke on. Touch the choke and it dies. Touch the throttle it dies. I let it run for a little bit with the idle turned up as high as it would go without dying to see if anything changed when it was warm. No change.

I pulled the flywheel back off to double check no sheared key. Timing is at the closest I could get it. Cam is just slightly toward the back with mark at the T on flywheel. Next link makes it a bit more off.

So any thoughts?

Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you check the jetting on the old carb versus the knock off carb,plus does it have a fuel screw adjuster or is it blocked off like some carbs are? May have something to do with it,plus I'd check the throttle cable for any binding. Plus spray some wd40 or carb cleaner around the intake and see if engine rpms change. Could be sucking air. Plus hopefully you have the air box and filter installed. I'm beginning to think on some of these knockoff carbs it's better to just to clean up the oem carb and install a new carb kit.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi OPT, Thanks for stopping in.

Throttle cable working good, filter box is installed with new filter or I guess it was just foam.

I was hoping that since I had it running prior to the rebuild that all would be well with the rebuilt engine for the carb. I was hoping that was taking one variable out of the equation but seems to be back in the equation. I'll have to look to see if it can be adjusted. I've also pulled it off and reinstalled it but no change so I'll do some spray to check for leaks.

I wish they had a "kit" as I would of went that way to start. Unfortunately you can get the repros for like $90 or piece together your own kit for well over $300 since I would also need the vacuum valve. The original is in a box in pieces since I was thinking kitting it when I first pulled it.

I actually had pretty good luck with the repros for a couple of go kart buggies with the scooter motors. Seems me and small engine carbs don't go well so I like just a plain swap.