Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2016 BF Reliability??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 BF Reliability??

Considering a BF 750 with Power Steering. Never owned a Kaw. quad before. Always been a Honda/Yam. guy. My 2007 Grizz. 450 I sold to my neighbor has 18000 miles still going strong he rides it everyday, my 2007 Honda Rubicon is bullet proof. Only thing ever do is change oil, tires, brakes, etc.

I recently went to a K. dealer, sat on a BF it fit me well, I liked the ergonomics.. My question is I don't want something I have to put in the shop regularly, or do stuff like belt replacement often or valve adjustments, etc. I'm good with oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Other than that when I turn the key I want it to crank right up and go.

I've narrowed it down to the BF or a new Honda Rubicon.

For the record I don't mud bog in deep stuff just trail ride and for hunting, I don't abuse my equipment, I use Non ethanonl fuel and Amsoil full synthetic fluids in my quads. So I feel I do my part in taking good care, but I just don't want to have to become a mechanic.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Rubicon is not even in the same class as the BF when it comes to power. I'm a bit skeptical about many of Hondas newer machines because of all the electronics involved. Back when they were simple carb machines with air cooled engines, they were bulletproof. I'm not as sure anymore. I would pick the BF over the Rubicon because it has almost twice as much power. Is it more reliable than the Rubicon? Its hard to say. I like to think any new machine would be reliable. But they're basically the same price. That's the insane part. A 500cc class machine that is even lacking in that class costs the same as a 750cc v-twin machine making almost twice as much power. The fun factor on the BF would greatly outweigh the complete lack of it on the Rubicon. I was pretty much a Honda/Yamaha guy myself until I recently bought my used BF 650. The power of the 650 is impressive enough to me. More than the Grizzly 660 I had previously. The engine braking seems to be better as well. Mine has 1550 miles and the only repair it has needed since I've had it is replacing a brake cable. I would give both machines a real test ride before you pick. If you actually ride both, it will be hard to pick the Honda. The extreme difference in power compared to the BF will make the Honda feel like its stuck in quicksand.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I think I've found a very good deal on a 2016.

Its a white with PS, aluminum rims. $6999 + KY sales tax ($419) + $417 dealer prep + $175 doc. fee = $8010 out the door. for a brand new 2016 White BF 750 with PS.

They also have the Kawasaki green with painted plastic for $500 more.

The Rubicon would be around $7600 + tax so roughly the same money for both.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's a good deal. My local dealer had non-eps BF for sale for $5999 for a limited time. Eps is usually about an extra $1000 so about the same deal. I don't think they have that deal now though. A new Grizzly costs about the same as a new Brute Force too. Again, the BF has it beat on power too. The Can-Am Outlander 650 is comparable in power to the BF but probably not going to find one of those in that price range.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked out a new Grizz yesterday, 700 with Power steering, was $9400 + tax. When I sat on the machine, it felt much larger than the BF. I just preferred the "feel" and ergonomics of the Brute, so I pretty quickly eliminated the Grizz off my list, I'm sure its a fine machine, as good as money can buy, but it just didn't fit me personally.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, that's pretty close to retail price on the Grizzly. Hard to pick it even if you did like it. Less power and costs more. Overpriced just like the new Hondas. The Kawasaki V-twin sounds better than the dull sounding single on the Grizzly and any Honda atv anyway.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got a couple questions about the Brute if I may.

1. Can the diff. Lock lever be used on the fly? Or do I have to stop before pulling back the lever to engage the diff lock, and do I have to stop when I release the lever to disengage the diff lock?

2. Are there any aftermarket LED bulbs than can be substituted for the Stock OEM head lamps? Basically unplug factory bulb and replace with a brighter aftermarket bulb preferably LED.

3. To switch from 2wd to 4wd there is a switch on the right side handle bar. Can you go from 2 to 4 on the fly or do you have to come to a stop? I think I read where you have to put the bike in neutral then flip switch, then put into gear, is that true?

Thanks for the feedback so far.
Sincerely Mike Bartley.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

4x4 can be switched on and off on the fly, preferably at slower speeds. Diff-lock is similar. Best to engage at slow speeds and not at full throttle either. Here's a good thread on kawieriders on that one Front diff lock use downside? - Kawasaki ATV Forum. As far as better lighting, not tried to look myself. I seldom ride at night anyway. I'm sure there are some brighter led bulbs out there.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My cousin bought a new 2015 Rubicon , its the most expensive under powered 28hp 500 you can buy. My 2001 500H.O eats it alive in bottom and top end.
A 700 Grizzly and 750 KQ cost only a little more.
The more powerful 36hp 500KQ is a much better machine for less money.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For the money, I think the Brute Force is the best value of all the machines in the 700-750cc class. The Grizzly and King Quad 750 are about the same price but the v-twin Brute Force outperforms either of those single cylinder machines. Honda is so far behind in performance on its utility quads that I wouldn't even look at one of them to buy new. I test drove a used Pioneer 500 recently and it was so slow that I thought I had the parking brake on. I had just tried a used Wildcat Trail and it felt like going from a racecar to a tractor. I may get one of those Wildcat trails one day, I was really impressed with the power it had.

Quick Reply: 2016 BF Reliability??