Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki prairie 400 carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki prairie 400 carburetor problems

Long story short. Im having trouble getting my prairie 400 to run properly. If i start it with the choke it will not idle but it will rev up seemingly fine. If i take the choke off it will idle seemingly fine but when i try tl rev it up it bogs down and dies. If i cover the air intake with my hand so that most of the air is blocked it will run like a new machine. Idle and rev fine without choke. That tells me im getting too much air. Problem is that there is no pilot air screw just pilot fuel screw at the bottom. Any ideas out there what im missing.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I can only make some suggestions from the little info you have provided. The factory jetting is designed to run with the factory air filter, if you have added a high flow aftermarket air filter then the carb needs to be rejetted to suit. I had a Praire 300 in 2000, it was a great machine. I bought Uni filter and a Uni carb kit for mine. Very good instructions came with the kit and it ran like a scared jack rabbit after I installed that setup. You probably need a complete carb rebuild due to crude over time so do yourself a favor and get the high flow filter and a carb kit and do the job all at once.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where do i get those carb kits?

Old 11-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought mine online, the company namebrand is "UNI" they make filters and carb kits as well as other atv/utv accessories. Many mfgrs make the kits but Uni is the only one I ever used. I am assuming they are still in business.
You can buy just about anything online nowadays!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks.. Ill try that.