Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2000 kawasakiprairie 400 removing clutch cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 kawasakiprairie 400 removing clutch cover

I'm trying to remove the clutch cover/housing to change the belt on my 2000 prairie 400 4x4. All the bolts are removed but I can't get the cover to clear the rear brake pedal. Is there something I'm missing or do you need to take the whole footboard off just to change a belt??? Terrible design.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the Praire 300 in 2000 so I assume they are the same. Yep the floorboard is removed or you can unbolt the brake pedal and move it out of the way. Not that difficult to do either one. Sheaves should move apart with your hands to remove/install the new belt. Make sure the faces of both front and rear are clean and no gouges on them or the new belt will wear quickly. I also cleaned the Oring gasket and added some silicone grease to it before reinstalling the cover to be sure there are no leaks. Nothing destroys a new belt like water and crud getting into the housing. That area needs to be kept clean.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I get away with removing the foot rest and not taking the break pedal off or lower it at least? I read a few people saying that the spring is a pain in the butt to get back on for the brake pedal if you remove it

Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The spring is stiff but I never had a problem removing it or installing it. Even if the floor board is lowered I do believe the spring needs to be unhooked. A good pair of channel lock pliers and your good to go.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have. 2000 4004x4. I am not aware of any way to get the cover off with floorboard, brake pedal and spring in place. Not too bad, but I always struggle with the stupid spring. While the spring and pedal are off it is a good time to clean and lube the pivot.

I drilled a hole in the upper left plastic to easily reach that bolt using an extension and sprocket. I do not remove any plastic.

My primary clutch faces were grooved/wavy after about 3000 miles. I replaced the primary with an aftermarket comet.
Primary clutch holding bolt is reverse thread, iirc. Must use approved puller. If using a puller made for another machine, check it very carefully to make sure the threads match and the end of the puller is large enough not to get pushed into the threaded crankshaft.