Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

03 Bayou with negative camber and toe out. How to fix?

Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Bayou with negative camber and toe out. How to fix?

Hello all, I have a 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 with some negative camber and toe out on the front wheels. It is affecting the way it rides and I'm wondering how I can correct the problem? Thanks

Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Most generally camber is not adjustable on ATV's but toe in is adjustable. You get the proper toe adjustment by adjusting the tie rod ends. I have found the best way to adjust toe is to be sure your wheels are in alignment with the rear wheels. To do this correctly first be sure all wheels run true and are NOT bent. Next is to inflate tires to mfgr specs or even add an extra lb of air. You will need a nice straight edge at least 8' in length and yes it must be a true straight edge. With your quad on a level surface like a garage floor you need to put the straight edge up to the rear wheels so it extends past the front wheel. I just use a pair of jack stands placed so the straight edge sits tight up against the rear wheel. Set you handle bars square, use a tape measure to be sure they are square to the frame. Now you will need to loosen the tie rod ends so they can be adjusted in or out to put the front wheel parallel to the straight edge, then adjust so the front wheel is toed in just a small amount like not more than 1/8". Do the same to the opposite side but do check to be sure nothing has moved (straight edge and handlebars) on your final adjustment. If done correctly you should have slight toe in (less than 1/4") which will straighten when your underway with pressure on the wheels and the front will be inline with the rear. Your machine should track fairly straight now.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Most generally camber is not adjustable on ATV's but toe in is adjustable. You get the proper toe adjustment by adjusting the tie rod ends. I have found the best way to adjust toe is to be sure your wheels are in alignment with the rear wheels. To do this correctly first be sure all wheels run true and are NOT bent. Next is to inflate tires to mfgr specs or even add an extra lb of air. You will need a nice straight edge at least 8' in length and yes it must be a true straight edge. With your quad on a level surface like a garage floor you need to put the straight edge up to the rear wheels so it extends past the front wheel. I just use a pair of jack stands placed so the straight edge sits tight up against the rear wheel. Set you handle bars square, use a tape measure to be sure they are square to the frame. Now you will need to loosen the tie rod ends so they can be adjusted in or out to put the front wheel parallel to the straight edge, then adjust so the front wheel is toed in just a small amount like not more than 1/8". Do the same to the opposite side but do check to be sure nothing has moved (straight edge and handlebars) on your final adjustment. If done correctly you should have slight toe in (less than 1/4") which will straighten when your underway with pressure on the wheels and the front will be inline with the rear. Your machine should track fairly straight now.
I couldn't have asked for a better response! Thank you I'll be happy to get it resolved. I think the toe out is what's throwing the ride off more so than the camber.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You are probably correct. When I brought home my UTV the first thing I noticed was the toe out and slight camber difference. It also did not track very well on the road. After a 4 wheel alignment it now tracks extremely well. They normally do not make an adjustable camber on utility machines because at the speeds we ride it has little effect and the addition of a threaded adjustment for camber could be a weak area for riding in severe/harsh terrain. I have a piece of 1" plywood about 4" wide left over from a construction project from years back that is straight as can be that I use for my alignment gage. Have used it numerous times to align others machines and this system always works well.