Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force 750 or Outlander 800R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force 750 or Outlander 800R?

So I had a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400. Loved the quad as it was super reliable and fun to kick around. But after years of riding it, I found myself in many situations where I really wish I had more power. This lead me on a quest to find something better. Can Am's looked awesome but I knew nothing about them. I went to a dealer and drove an Outlander 1000, and I instantly fell in love, all up to the point where I saw the sticker price and knew I would never be able to afford a $14,000 quad. Even on the used market most seemed to be in the $8500 range for an older one. So I looked elsewhere.

Eventually I came across Kawasaki Brute Force 750's. They seemed to offer a lot of power all at a price I could afford. They also seemed pretty good maintenance wise with a few exceptions, so I started my hunt for one. I have been researching them and looking for months and found a really nice on in my price range.

Randomly while looking on Craigslist in the meantime I came across a killer deal on an outlander 800 though. It needs new rear brakes and a yoke on the rear driveshaft, but other than that it is in great shape and runs awesome. The guy just doesn't ride it much and said it was way too much power for what he wanted a quad for.

So, I have not done a ton of homework on the Can Am's as much as I have the Kawasaki Brute Forces. Are the Outlander 800's pretty reliable? This is a 2013 model. I just don't want to get into something that I am going to have to constantly invest money in to enjoy. I want something reliable which I know the Brute Force will do for me. But I love the looks and power of the Outlander 1000 I drove. Granted this is an 800 but that still should have more power than the BF750.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

I will add that the bike would be used mostly for trail riding, but I do some pulling and snow plowing around my house. I don't plan on using the quad for mudding but I do find the occasional puddle (not deeper than the tires).

Old 03-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1997 Kawasaki 2500 mule, a 2004 Kawasaki 700 Prairie & and 2005 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force. They all were very reliable. The V-twin of the 700 Prairie and the V-twin of the 750 Brute Force makes awesome torque and power.

For 2016/2017, the Kawasaki Brute Force makes 50hp and the Outlander 650 makes 62hp. However, you can find some left over 2016 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force's for good deals.

But, you can also get a brand new Yamaha 700 Kodiak with $6999. It has 48hp and is a fantastic buy. It has the same 708cc motor as the new Yamaha Grizzly.

Base Model @ $6999
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ut...els/kodiak-700

Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 700vtwinman
I had a 1997 Kawasaki 2500 mule, a 2004 Kawasaki 700 Prairie & and 2005 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force. They all were very reliable. The V-twin of the 700 Prairie and the V-twin of the 750 Brute Force makes awesome torque and power.

For 2016/2017, the Kawasaki Brute Force makes 50hp and the Outlander 650 s 62hp. However, you can find some left over 2016 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force's for good deals.

But, you can also get a brand new Yamaha 700 Kodiak with $6999. It has 48hp and is a fantastic buy. It has the same 708cc motor as the new Yamaha Grizzly.

Base Model @ $6999
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ut...els/kodiak-700
The Can Am Outlander 800 I am looking at has 61.7 hp (more than that actually since this one has a tuner and exhaust). Even the modified Brute Force 750's would not come close to this power wise. This guy can run dead even with a brand new stock Renegade 1000. It would take a big bore kit in a Brute to do this. Not knocking the Brute, I have been researching them heavily for the past few months and they are awesome for sure.

I actually drove a new Kodiak 700. It was nice but it was no where near the power level of the other quads.

The new BF750's are great but my budget is no where near them. I was amazed I found this Outlander inside my budget honestly.

I was really looking for advice on reliability and maintenance for these two as a cost comparison. Thoughts?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

I would probably jump on the Outlander. That Rotax motor is hard to beat.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi call911: Interesting you found an Outlander at a good price and are considering it over the BF750. I recently purchased an Outlander based on anecdotal reviews of reliability. I have had no "defects or issues" so far. I have learned in these forums that most ATVs can have issues. I've learned the Japanese brands seem to be more reliable. But those brands don't offer a 2 up model.

You might peruse the Can Am Forum for more detailed info on the 13 Outlander 800. I have read about broken frames and troublesome differentials on Can Ams in that vintage. I have read about engine heat issues to the point of melting plastic parts.

You know, I found the rear driveshaft U joints poorly lubricated on my new Outlander Max. I greased them like I would any u joint. I have read about another owner with a u joint failure on a Can Am. I wonder if lack of lubrication caused the failure.

So maybe the Can Am owner wants to sell cheap as the machine needs work. Maybe you have looked at used price guides to see if this Can Am is adequately discounted considering its condition. And you know you can make any repairs yourself instead of a $100 an hour shop. It might represent a very good value for you.

I think the Can Am is a bit riskier than the Kawasaki, but it might please you once you get it running good for minimal expenditures. You would have all the Rotax power you would ever need.

David

Old 03-09-2017, 04:43 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dbj216
Hi call911: Interesting you found an Outlander at a good price and are considering it over the BF750. I recently purchased an Outlander based on anecdotal reviews of reliability. I have had no "defects or issues" so far. I have learned in these forums that most ATVs can have issues. I've learned the Japanese brands seem to be more reliable. But those brands don't offer a 2 up model.

You might peruse the Can Am Forum for more detailed info on the 13 Outlander 800. I have read about broken frames and troublesome differentials on Can Ams in that vintage. I have read about engine heat issues to the point of melting plastic parts.

You know, I found the rear driveshaft U joints poorly lubricated on my new Outlander Max. I greased them like I would any u joint. I have read about another owner with a u joint failure on a Can Am. I wonder if lack of lubrication caused the failure.

So maybe the Can Am owner wants to sell cheap as the machine needs work. Maybe you have looked at used price guides to see if this Can Am is adequately discounted considering its condition. And you know you can make any repairs yourself instead of a $100 an hour shop. It might represent a very good value for you.

I think the Can Am is a bit riskier than the Kawasaki, but it might please you once you get it running good for minimal expenditures. You would have all the Rotax power you would ever need.

David
The earlier generations did have frame issues, but this year and generation were not known to share those frame issues, so I think I am good there.

This one does have a rear driveshaft u joint that needs replaced, so my guess is that this may be a common issue. This is where getting this bike is a bit of a gamble as I just have not done a ton of research on them the way I have on the BF750. That being said, this is an exceptionally good deal that I feel I can't pass up so I am going to jump on it. It may be a bad move if it's this cheap for a reason and there are other hidden issues. But the guy has been very straight forward with me on everything so far so if he is shady, it has not shown yet. I have always wanted this style Can Am but never thought I would be able to afford it. Hopefully this is not a big mistake and this is not a problem child bike that I am gettting.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

1st generation frames were a bit on the flimsy side. 2nd generation are definitely better. I've seen all of 2 posts about frame issues and that was the XMR, mud version.

4wd on the Brute is activated with a button. To fully lock the front end you have to hold on to a yellow lever on the left handlebar. I'd have an issue with that if the left side of the quad gets swallowed in a deep water/mud hole and I have to stand with both feet in the right footwell. Can-Am's system has you push a button and when the system senses different tire speeds between front and back, it fully engages 4wd with both tires in the front grabbing. Make sure it is a QE (Quick engaging) model. It kicks in almost instantaneously when needed. Very seamless.

On board storage is better with the Outlander than the Brute.

More ground clearance with the Outty.

Rotax power is addictive. Very reliable engine and transmission-wise. The CVT, belt drive does have a whine that is more noticeable on the Can-Am than other machines I've been on. I just tell people it's the turbo kicking in.

If the Brute has power steering it changes according to the speed you're going. More assist when at slow speeds, less at high. Pretty seamless.

Can-Am system lets you choose between low, medium, and high. I've found I like it on low most the time. Plowing and towing, I have it in medium or high. I plow with it and have used it in some brutal New England winters. Does very well until the snowfall is above 2 feet. Snowblower works better then. I also have towed a trailer with fresh cut hardwood for feeding my woodstove. Trailer is 4x4x3'. Have pulled over a hundred loads with it and it's done very well. Can-Am has very good engine braking.

I've had my Outlander Max 650 XTP since 2012. It's been very reliable. Couple small issues. Nothing approaching U-joints or anything like that.

If you can find a 650 it is slightly more powerful than a Brute. The only thing you won't be able to do as easily as with the 800 is wheelies. One thing I didn't like about the 800 and 1000 is cornering. You have to be very careful how you handle the throttle. If you hit it just a bit too hard the front end is going to come up to the point that you don't have as much steerage. Just something to think about.

Hope all this helps in your decision.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Range Rover

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the biggest thing keeping most people from buying used Outlanders is the price. They seem to simply be the most expensive used atvs out there. I had a chance to buy a nice low mileage Outlander 800(had about 1000 miles on it) a couple years ago for about $4000 and passed on it at the time because I wasn't really ready to buy a different quad. I kinda wish I had bought it now but hindsight is always 20/20. Thats pretty close to what I paid for the BF 650 I have now and it had slightly more miles on it when I got it(1335 when i bought about a year ago). I'm not unhappy with the purchase but I could have paid about the same back then and got more for my money. Just also remember parts are more expensive as well for Can-Am. So when it does need something, it will probably cost a little more than it would for the Brute Force. But as far as power goes, the BF 750 just can't hang with the Outlander 800. Its a noticeable difference for sure.

Quick Reply: Brute Force 750 or Outlander 800R?