Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

push the throttle and it dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default push the throttle and it dies

Sorry, couldnt resist.

I got not action in the other forum, and have some updates.

Got a 200? Kasea 125 KS 4 Stroke quad to replace my sons worthless Chinese quad due to the lack of any useful suspension.

Bought it at the end of summer last year and didnt anything with it until now.

It ran when we bought it, but after sitting it would not even start.

I pulled the carb, completely cleaned everyting out with carb cleaner and put it back together, and it still would not fire up. Came out the next day and it fired right up, I was able to zip around the yard with it for a minute and then slowly it started to bog with gas. At first I could get past it, but then it would not let me give it any gas at all without dying. It still starts and idles but nothing else.

I read elsewhere that it has a Mikuni CV style carb, and has a rubber gasket with a plunger inside, and I am not sure what I am looking for as far as that portion of the carb goes.

Gas was drained and replaced, carb has been cleaned, spark plug was cleaned and it ran for a minute so I am not sure if I can eliminate it as being an issue. I took the filter out of the equation.

The exhaust was blocked up with some kind of wasp/bee nest but I fixed that as well.

Today I cleaned out the jets again, everything points to that being the issue, but its not as they are fine. Once again it ran fine and I was able to do a quick lap and then it died. I think I am not getting gas at this point. Today I left the carb in the quad and tested the floats, floats up no gas - floats down plenty of gas so I dont they are bad although I am wondering if they are not adjusted correctly. The quad wont even idle now, but it will fire up for a second if I spray some starter fluid in it.

I pulled the drain plug after it would not run (its a tube with a solid barbed end) and a bit of gas came out but now its sitting there not leaking which I assume means the bowl is not filling up with gas, although perhaps the vacuum is keeping it from leaking???

How do I test the floats to make sure they are working, and what else should I be looking at?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, I am not mechanic so dont assume I know something, just not afraid to get in and do stuff.

Thanks guys, Id really like to get this thing running.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:07 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum arcsum68!

Sorry Im missed it... Are you still using the stock spark plug? If so try a NGK C7HSA..

The float should appear level with the gasket surface when the needle is closed...(when its not flowing gas)..

Im also wondering if the gas cap is plugged and not venting the gas tank...Next time it dies..or wont start..try removing the gas cap..

Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow, impressive list of bikes!

Well, took it apart again this afternoon. This time I really got all the way in there, took every single thing out or apart after watching some youtube videos. I have not put it back in yet since dinner was ready, so I will probably hold off until tomorrow.

So there IS a slight film pretty much throughout that can be scraped off but carb/brake cleaner doesnt seem to do anything to it. The jets are definitely clean, and I adjusted the float, but I think it needs to go more although I wonder how it would have gotten out of sorts just sitting.

The first time I cleaned it I didnt do anything with the floats because I just wasnt sure what I could and could not do. This time I took them completely off and cleaned everything.

Where does the spring go? The guy on the youtube video also didnt have one, but he thought he should have. I am not sure how important it is, it still shuts off the supply.

I will post back tomorrow, hopefully with some success.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yeah, gas cap is not plugged, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When it quits, is there spark?
Remove the fuel supply line and run fuel into a container. See if the fuel stops (fuel supply prob?).

Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont think spark is the issue, if I spray starter fluid in it, it will fire up for a second. Also, I drained the tank via the fuel supply line and it provides a steady flow. If anything the petcock is broken because it doesnt really stop the flow when in the off position, just slows it down.

I have not put the carb back in yet, and I am wondering if I should pull the bowl and adjust the float level some more. If I blow on the gas inlet and lift the floats up it seems to stop quite a bit earlier than level with the top of the bowl. I am going to do some googling before I continue.

Also still unsure about the spring, I think it goes between the carb and the float valve? Not sure how the thing seats though, so I may be wrong.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, now I am getting somewhere. I think that there may have been some blockage at the float pin, not enough to stop it, but enough to restrict it.

It ran for 10 mins, and I did at least 10 laps around the yard. Idle is OK, but at wide open throttle it bogs and wants to die, slower speed is OK.

Can this be an issue with float level?

I replaced my drain hose with clear so I could monitor the float level, here is a pic. Seems like it may be low, but I dont want to mess with it before I hear back, this is the best its run yet.

Picture

Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Had some company over for dinner, and we went to check out the quad after I was chatting about it. Ran fine! Not sure what happened, but I checked again after awhile and it was still good.

After running for awhile, and letting it idle, it wanted to stall just a hair on throttle.

Think I might be good though, if its ok I would like to post some pics so I can get a better understanding of some of the components. Mine has an extra needle on the side that seems to be controlled electronically, so I would like to know more about it.

I will obviously give it a whirl tomorrow to see how it is.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by arcsum68
...so I can get a better understanding of some of the components. Mine has an extra needle on the side that seems to be controlled electronically, so I would like to know more about it...
Does it look like this?

push the throttle and it dies-carb-150cc-w-autochoke.jpg

The bystarter valve is a kind of automatic choke. It opens up an extra fuel path when cold to enrichen the air fuel ratio (as compard to a conventional choke which starves the air/fuel mixture of air).

There is a heater in the valve that usually runs off AC power from the stator. The heater heats up a wax pellet that expands, pushing on a plunger that closes off the extra fuel path. The idea is that the heater in the bystarter valve warms up at the same rate as the engine so the optimum air/fuel ratio is maintaned during warmup.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the delay, my camera broke, so I could not take pics.

Yes! Thats exactly what my carb looks like. Very good information, thanks.

Whats the reliability on those extra components?

Quick Reply: push the throttle and it dies