Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Electrical Problem

Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

Hi,

I have a 250cc Gio Bad Boy, started the bike up the other day and when I pulled the shifter into reverse a pin sheared popping the bike back out of reverse; the bike stalled, when I tried the ignition again a puff of smoke came out of the front cowling. I pulled the front body panel and sniffed the smoke to it's source. Sure enough a small 2'x1x1" block that looks just like a CDI except the plug is completely wrong.

What is this thing? Anybody?

And where could I get a replacement.

I love my little Gio 250, I've had to make some modifications due to my locale and lack of access to parts, but I can always get the thing running, it totally suits my needs and, for the money you can't beat it.

Thanks folks

Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How many pins on this black box? What are their colors?

If you unplug this device, does the quad starter turn? Does it start? Assuming the engine starts and runs, what is the battery voltage measured right on the battery terminals with the engine running at a fast clip and the headlights off?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Electrical Problem

Thanks for getting back LE,

It's an 8 pin male plug. The starter turns but the bike won't start. I've been looking through the parts book tonight and I can't find what this thing is but going over the diagram for the electical system and there is parts on there I can't account, maybe you'd recognize it, "Reverse controller" it has 8 wires running to it. This thing looks like a stock part, mass manufactured, if I could find out what it is I could search for the right kind.

Thanks for your help

Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Electrical Expert

I have no idea what a "reverse controller" is. When you try to start the quad (with the black box unplugged), do you have spark?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Electrical Problems

First off the wire colors

Green blue Blue red, Yellow white

Black white Red white

Black Green Green black

I don’t believe I’m getting spark now, I haven’t had to test it before so I pulled some info from the net on how to test for spark, and I used this technique, let me know if this sounds right. I pulled the spark plug then put it back on the wire. I held the threaded end against metal parts of the frame and the engine while I turned it over hoping to see a spark. No spark.

Does it sound like I did the test right? Does this mean that this block is a part of the ignition coil?

Thanks again

Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Electrical Expert

You did the spark test correctly.

I don't recognize the wire colors or anything about this mystery block. I also don't know if it has anything to do with the ignition system.

Does your CDI look like this?

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  27.7 KB

Do you have a wire on the kill switch connection?

Unplug the CDI. Measure DC voltage on the AC power pin to ground when the ignition is on. Do you have 12 volts? If not, then measure the AC voltage (200 volt scale) on the same pin while cranking the engine. Do you measure AC voltage in the range of 35 to 80 volts AC?

Is there any way you could fax the wiring diagram to me?