Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Eton Vector 250 Electrical Problem

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Vector 250 Electrical Problem

I have a 2007 Eton Vector 250, which is now acting up when it warms up (after about 5 to 10 minutes of driving). I took it to the dealer and he just said (without looking at it) "bad gas". He said they are very finicky about wanting fresh gas, and that if I leave it sit even for a couple of weeks I should drain the carb before starting it. (Fortunately, there is a little drain hose coming out of the bottom of the carb, so this was easy to do.) Well, I did that, I used fresh gas, and I even had a friend clean the carb, but the problem persists and my friend (who knows small engines very well) said he's pretty sure it is an electrical problem.

What happens is this. After riding for a while the engine starts to cough and sputter (almost sounding like it is missing) and stall out, but the real distinctive symptom is when you start it again, put it in forward, and try to rev it to get the ATV going. It bogs, yes, but it also jerks violently as if it was jumping in and out of gear.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? It can't be the carb, as it was just cleaned, and it can't be seasonal, as I got the same problem in the winter. And it certainly can't be bad gas, as I have been using only the freshest gas from a local marina that sells alcohol free gas.

Any advice would be much appreciated, as the dealer doesn't seem to be able to help.