Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Battery not staying charged???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery not staying charged???

I bought a GIO mini atv for xmas for my boys last year and the battery will not stay charged. I have replaced the battery and its dead again! Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know how well qualified i am to answer this question on this forum, however it sounds like u need to check the output voltage of your stator on the charging side.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, Kellysautosport is correct about measuring the charging voltage from the stator and voltage regulator.

Charge the battery, then start up the quad and run at a fast RPM with the headlights off. Measure the DC voltage right on the battery terminals. It should be 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts DC.

Never let your battery sit dead. That ruins them very quickly. 1 week sitting discharged does significant damage. Batteries last a long time if kept properly charged.

If your quad sits unused for extended periods you should get a maintenance charger from walmart (or any auto parts store if you don't like walmart) that charges at or less than 2 amps and switches to trickle charge when the battery is full.

If your charging voltage doesn't meet the 13.5 to 14.5 volts spec, and the battery was able to successfully start up the quad turning the starter at normal speeds, then the next step is to measure the raw stator output to the votage regulator.

Set your meter to measure AC volts. Unplug the regulator. Measure the voltage from the yellow wire in the wiring harness to ground at idle. Measure the white wire voltage to ground at idle. Measure the voltage between the yellow and white wires at idle. Report these three voltages back.