Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Outlaw 90 dies after warms up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw 90 dies after warms up.

I have a '07 Outlaw 90. This past Saturday my son was riding in our back yard, after about 20 minutes his fourwheeler suddenly died on him and would not start back. It did not sputter or miss before it shut off. I took it down to the garage to check a few things on it. It had no spark. Also the spark plug was black. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it cranked right back up and ran fine for about 15 minutes the shut off again. Same thing let it sit for a while and it would crank right back up. It did this same thing last week. I didn't think much of it I thought he had just forgot to turn the gas on and ran the carb out. After seeing that it was not firing I thought maybe it could be the coil, or the stator? Can someone tell me how to test these and how many OHM's they should read? Anyone have any sugesstions as to where I shoud start to look? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
I agree CDI/coil.
Call a dealer or get a manual for the ohm specs.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a link to a 2009 pdf service manual for the youth model 50 and 90 four strokes. Same as your 2007 on electrical checks to help you narrow down the problem.Plus may not a bad idea to check the valve clearance and compression. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tested the coil and stator both hot and cold, and they seem to be fine. This time when it died I had my testers handy and went straight to the plug wire. My spark tester would lite up for just a second and went off. I am begining to think it is the CDI box. Once it cooled back down it fired right back up and ran good. I forgot to mention in my original post all of this started when it had a bad battery on it. Since then I have put a new battery on it. If anyone has a good CDI box they want rid of let me know. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the black kill circuit wire from the cdi and and see if it has spark.It it does, could be a short in the cutoff switches. If it doesn't have spark then like you say it could be a cdi problem if you've eliminated the stator,coil and any grounding problem.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have tried different number of things and still can not determine exactly what is wrong. I started the bike up and tried to disconnect both plugs from the CDI box one at a time and it dies as soon as they are unplugged. He was able to ride it for about 2 hours a few days ago without incedent, but yesterday it went back to 15 minutes and it dies. I have been considering ordering this CDI/Coil, but a little unsure. Maximum RPM - Performance parts for Mini ATVs
Reason being is it will eliminate two possible theories at once. Has anyone used one of these on thier bikes? If so, are they plug and play? My CDI box has two plugs on it and this CDI/Coil only shows one in the picture. Really hate to spend that kind of money and it not work. And if anyone has any ideas on something I might be missing I am all ears. Again thanks everyone for your help. I also bypassed the kill switch to eliminate that. I also search through the wiring harness for a possible grounding somewhere and did not find one.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nobody has tried these coils?