Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Front clutch removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
KMR
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front clutch removal

Well.. I decided to reopen the clutch case of my daughters Lt80. When I got the quad the belt was squeaking on take off. So I opened up the front clutch and replaced the rollers and belt. The face of the front drive was a little worn / grooved but i did not want to spend any more money on it. Hoping the belt and rollers would do the trick. Well when i put it back together it sounded like loose change or rock rumbliblig around. This sound was only at idle. The belt did not squeak at first but soon again it started. It seem more pronounced when i took for spin to put it away or load it on the trailer. So I went ahead and bought a new front fixed sheave. And was going to inspect the roller situation. Assuming that was the rattle sound. I have it opened up and can not seem to get the front fixed sheave off. I took the bolt off...and can even get the long sleeve off, but for some reason I can not pull the unit off. It will move a lil back and forth but feels like something is oreventing it from sliding off. Can you please help me! What am i missing? And is there some reason for the rattling within?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by KMR
Well.. I decided to reopen the clutch case of my daughters Lt80. When I got the quad the belt was squeaking on take off. So I opened up the front clutch and replaced the rollers and belt. The face of the front drive was a little worn / grooved but i did not want to spend any more money on it. Hoping the belt and rollers would do the trick. Well when i put it back together it sounded like loose change or rock rumbliblig around. This sound was only at idle. The belt did not squeak at first but soon again it started. It seem more pronounced when i took for spin to put it away or load it on the trailer. So I went ahead and bought a new front fixed sheave. And was going to inspect the roller situation. Assuming that was the rattle sound. I have it opened up and can not seem to get the front fixed sheave off. I took the bolt off...and can even get the long sleeve off, but for some reason I can not pull the unit off. It will move a lil back and forth but feels like something is oreventing it from sliding off. Can you please help me! What am i missing? And is there some reason for the rattling within?
The crank has a woodruff key. Sounds like you may not have gotten it aligned properly on reassembly.
You may be able to gently pry it off.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep. The roller plate wasn't aligned (I know it was but it moved). The roller plate spinning on the key is the squeal I'm thinking.
Like mentioned, gently pry it off.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:48 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

Well. I worked at it and was able to remove it. Found out at least one roller was wedged sideways. The lil key was not in the best shape, but intact. I changed the roller holder. And put it back together. No chance to run it yet. My fingers are crossed. Hopefully no squeal nor rattle. If it still squeals should i try and change the lil metal block (key)?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The rollers flip when you pull on the clutch to remove it. Everyone thinks the rollers do funny things when in there but it's usually a assembly snafu.
You can turn the key around and use the other end. I give it a touch up with sandpaper.
If it helps: I tilt the machine up on the right side. It helps get the clutchs together with less chance of the roller plate's key notch moving off the key. Or at least I think so.

After reading again, you mentioned the squeal which you thought was the belt. On the original inspection, was the roller plate notch/key damaged from spinning?
You are aligning the notch and key...Right?
Sorry but I'd rather be sure.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

On inspection of the key it did not look great. I will try and run it now that i have it back together. If its the same i will disassemble and attempt to turn the key around. When i took it apart one of the rollers was stuck sideways. Not sure if that occured on the assembly the first go around. Thanks for the help