Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Got my daughter a 2008 Polaris Outlaw 90

Old 12-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my daughter a 2008 Polaris Outlaw 90

As the title suggests, got my daughter a Polaris Outlaw 90 for Christmas. Actually bought 3. One for my daughter, and 2 nephews. One of them, my nephew's, is, I think they called it the MDX, or LE model? With nerf bars, aluminum wheels, and Fox shocks. I noticed on my daughter's, I can reverse the front wheels, which gives it a wider stance. I've looked and looked, and cannot find anything that would cause a problem. Does anyone know of any reason why that would be unsafe? The stance is now basically the same as my nephew's ATV.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2016, 04:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

It will throw the steering geometry out, either wanting to go in a straight line, or wandering, and may make the steering heavier.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Would one of the eBay widening kits do the same thing? As far as I can tell they're only extending the wheel mounting point.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Same but different. Like Merryman said, it'll make steering a lil harder.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

In theory, a line drawn through the centre of the king pin should touch the ground in the centre of the tyre tread, turn the wheels round and it won't. Extend both A arms instead and the steering geometry is (almost) unaltered. However modern manufacturers seem to have a cavalier attitude to steering geometry anyway, so who knows?

Old 12-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your explanation, MerryMan. My main concern is safety. I don't think my daughter would notice the steering geometry being different, one way or another. But I like the added stability of a wider stance.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When i put spacers in my full size quad the steering got pretty heavy and the turning radius went to crap. With that being said it would not hurt to try and see how it goes worst case you put them back to stock. One thing to think of is if you widend it to increase stability your little one will become used to that and if they ever get on a machine that is narrower they may get hurt. My little one learned on a narrow machine and could make that thing dance. She got quite good at balancing going around corners and knew how to handle it if the tires bit in and started to tip. Now she is on a bigger machine and wider and can make it dance as well..

Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
When i put spacers in my full size quad the steering got pretty heavy and the turning radius went to crap. With that being said it would not hurt to try and see how it goes worst case you put them back to stock. One thing to think of is if you widend it to increase stability your little one will become used to that and if they ever get on a machine that is narrower they may get hurt. My little one learned on a narrow machine and could make that thing dance. She got quite good at balancing going around corners and knew how to handle it if the tires bit in and started to tip. Now she is on a bigger machine and wider and can make it dance as well..
Hadn't thought of all that. Good points though! Thanks!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

I'll chime in. If you reverse the wheels but your tires are directional you will have issues with steering too. I would just leave them. The difference is so minimal unless she is racing it won't make any positive difference other than making it look cooler.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

The tires are directional, but I switched sides to keep the same direction. However after riding it a bit, I think it puts too much camber angle on the tires. I suspect because of the single a arm suspension.

Search this Thread