Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Tips for buying a mini quad

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for buying a mini quad

Here is a copy of a post I made at another ATV site.

During my and Wildcards recent journey to find a couple (dependable) mini quads without making our better halves too mad, we did a LOT of research to ensure we were making the right decision. I thought I would pass along some of the stuff we learned in order to help others in the same boat.

1. Don't buy a quad that has a Kazuma motor. Yes, they are identical to the very tough and dependable Honda 110 motors a lot of us grew up with, BUT they are made with inferior materials, and workmanship! I'm sure there are some out there that are holding up, but they probably don't leave the yard. We wanted a quad to handle the ABUSE I knew our boys would give them! Do a quick search of the net, and you'll find a mound of bad info on the Kazuma motors.

2. Be very careful of the no name quads. I know there some good ones out there, but seperating the good from the bad is difficult. Some incorporate pressed board for brake pads. Guess what happens the first time your child goes threw a puddle?! I have noticed these type of brake pads associated with the Kazuma motors quite often.

3. Check out the suspension. Then main thing I would stay away from is the rocker type front suspension (Some Dinlis). This consists of a SOLID bar between the front hubs that just rocks from side to side. No direct impact softening. Other things to consider are; are the shocks adjustable? If the quad manufacturer went so far as to put adjustable shocks on, I tend to think they probably put other quality parts on. The best suspension set up I have seen is on the Kasea quads. They use a clevis style front hub. Very strong. Great if your child is gonna do a fair amount of jumping.

4. Ground Clearance. This is hard to find on a mini quad. The Sundiro (Madami) quads me and Wildcard bought have the most ground clearance I've seen on a mini. This is due to 19" tires. They have had very little problem with ground clearance. Watch out though, they will get saddle bagged on some big quad ruts in a mud hole and spray mud all over you! I found out the hard way.

5. Aesthetics. Don't judge a mini on its looks. Some are just polished turds! Looks don't matter when they are sitting in the back of the garage broke! Also some of the lesser quality minis have poor plastic on them. They crack very easily.
The Jag minis are awesome lookin' quads! The motor is good. The suspension is good. BUT The rear axle is puny and covered with a sheet metal sleeve.

6. Transmissions. I think CVT autos are the best for the kids. I want my son to learn how ride a manual, but for starting out I think there are many other things they need to learn first. Besides kids are hard on clutches and manual trannies.

7. Lights. Headlights and brake lights are good to have. Most don't have them, but are easily added. Some that do have a headlight are worthless. I would rather add my own. For a headlight we bought a driving light kit for an auto ($20) and mounted it to the handle bars with a toggle switch located on the fender. Works GREAT!

8. Parts/Service. Perhaps I should have put this at the top, because this is more important than some realize. Getting parts for a lot of the off brands is difficult to impossible. The dealer won't tell you that! This is one of the major reasons we choose the Madami/Sundiro minis for our sons. All engine/drivetrain/suspension parts are interchangeable with a Polaris Predator 90!!!!! Parts like air filters, brake pads are inevitably going to have to be changed. Oh yeah, brake pads don't like serious mudding. But they are easy to change and are easily gotten for $16-$25 at your local Sundiro or Polaris dealer.

The bottom line
- If you have the money and don't mind spending it, buy one of the big four's minis. Other wise buy a Madami or Sundiro for almost half price. They are EXACTLY the same as the Polaris Predator 90, except for the plastic, and tires. I was amazed to see just how identical these were! In some ways I think our Sundiros are better.
Our boys have put many miles on these quads already, and they have held up GREAT. I am very satisified. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed another one.

I hope this helps, I'm sure I 've forgotten something but me or Wildcard would be glad to answer any questions, or clear anything up.

Oh yeah, here is a couple other things:
Buy your child a helmet!!!
Supervise your child!
Don't buy your child a quad if he/she isn't responsible enough!!!!

Happy Riding!!! Watching the kids on these quads has been an awesome experience!!!

Old 06-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

This is a great post for someone buying a quad for a kid to ride around, but the BIGGEST thing you forgot is to spend the money and buy your kid a GOOD chest protector, not one of the skinny cloth and soft plastic ones but a good well designed and strong chest protecter you kid wont do much if they are crunched from using some 25 dollar helmet and 10 dollar protective equiptment, NO matter what you save money on spend BIG for quality safe riding gear. {just my opinion, but has been worth my life from my wife} happy riding and go fast or stay IN THE YARD.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I agree with everything said, but I'd throw in complete riding gear including pants, jersey, gloves, goggles, chest protector and maybe a neck roll. MX Boots may be overkill , but at least get them leather over the ankle.. No tennis shoes period!

Make them use their equipment everytime the sit on the seat, don't let them get away with not wearing something just because they are in the back yard.

As for what to buy.... I agree with the ability to buy parts, and it being a recognised name. Lets face it, Yamaha, Suzuki etc are going to be around forever. Cheap knockoffs from Korea are just that.. cheap knockoffs... I know I will ruffle a lot of feathers with that statement... so don't waste your breath... you won't change my opinion. All you have to do is look at resales on the various makes to make my case. Some of the lesser known are getting their acts together with parts and repair facilities now, but they have a long way to go to match the big three.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ditto..Ditto..Ditto.

Stress the safety equipment. Kids will crash. Helmet, good chest protector, gloves, pants and shirt.
I think as important as the helmet is the NECK ROLL. Expecially the very young kids. The helmets are heavy on kids heads. Kid get jarred around a lot. Most people honestly have probably never seen or even heard of these. They don't hinder the movement of their head at all either. Very important I think.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

that is some usefull info me and my husband just bought our 2 boys a yamoto 110 semi auto. and they have had it in a stream about a foot deep run it up sand hills and so far so good.Havent had any complaints as far as the yamoto goes. safety is a must we went and spent $75 for each of their helmets alone and they know they cant ride with out their safty gear.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

How good are the Yamotos do they have a pretty good bit of power and how good is the shaft drive?

Old 06-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

I believe they are powered by Kazuma motors.(see above)

Old 06-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Very good posts!! I cannot aqgree more with the safety gear!!
I also cannot agree more with the Kazuma coments! They are a complete waste of your money. If you want a quad get one that will last and you can get parts for

Chris