Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 / SLUG

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 / SLUG

I bought my daughter a 2002 LT80, perfect condition, so I thought. My nephews LT50 leaves her in the dust. The top end speed is very sluggish, seems to break up and miss. I first thought it was a fouled plug, changed it, same thing. any help would be great, Also the best "hotter" plug to run. This is an ALL STOCK bike. Thanks

Old 02-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 / SLUG

Actually, I just found a host of info my self, but if you would like to give advise I am still open. Thanks. I think I will try the pipe cleaning first.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 / SLUG

First make sure you remove both the restrictors. Then we'll go to,,,
Good air flow comming out of the pipe?
Clean the carb., compression, etc.
Keep us informed please [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 / SLUG

I'll second the restrictions that come stock on the bike. Bought my son an '04 and took him to ride. Was very sluggish with no topend until I removed the spacer in the carb and the exhaust restriction. Runs like a champ now!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 / SLUG

OK, Try not to laugh, but... Where are the restricters? Thanks

Old 02-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 / SLUG

The first one is in the carb. Remove the top from the carb and between the slide and the carb top is a white plastic piece about 1/2" long. Simply pop it out and reassemble. The second one is between the exhaust pipe and the cylinder head. Remove the bolts holding the pipe to the head, if it's still in there it's a small plate with a smaller diameter hole in it than the exhaust pipe. Pull it out and reinstall the pipe. Good Luck.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 / SLUG

White plastic piece eh?! It used to be brass.
I learn something new everyday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Hard to believe a 2002 still has the restrictors in it, but ya never know.
Lets step ahead.,, If the restrictors are removed, clean the carb. Remove both jets and clean well. The more I think on this, the more I feel it's in the carb.

Spark plug:: B8HIX...get ready, they are 12 bucks but last forever.
Spark plug cap..NGK# TB05EMA.. The spark plug caps are scrap on these Machines.You will be riding along and it'll quit. You will find the spark plug cap has blew off.The cap mentioned utilizes the screw on piece on the top of the plug. No matter what, I tend to put a piece of duct tape on to make sure it never comes off (I call it my 2 cent insurance policy).

Old 02-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 / SLUG

My '04 had a plastic piece in it. I called the stealer I got it from because he was supposed to remove the restrictors before I picked it up. I told him it was plastic, he said no, it's brass. I had to take it and show him. Only one I'd ever done, go figure.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 / SLUG

OK, here we go. After I posted that last message, I got anxious because we are to go riding today, so I started to probe around. I removed the exaust pipe, no restrictor there, But lot, LOTS of black GOOOO.... So I started at the carb, you no NASCAR plate races, well the little black plate there is the same size, So I am out to unscrew the the top and look for something there. white or brass, be back in a few. Thanks...

PS, Someone should tell us dummies that there is a HOLE in the carb so you can fit a screw driver through it for removal, UGH... lol

Old 02-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 / SLUG

OK, no kind of spacer in the throttle slide area.... But just to reiterate, lots of thick black crd at the exhaust prt and the pipe, I unscrewed the , what looks like a drain plug, on the exhaust pipe and it appears to be wet inside and black. If I blow the pipe out, where do I blow through? Thanks Steve

Quick Reply: LT80 / SLUG