Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Received Unison Desert Cat 90 Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Received Unison Desert Cat 90 Yesterday

I ordered the Unison Desert Cat 90 late Monday and received it on Friday in Missouri. John at Raceway said it would take 5-10 business days for delivery and I got it in 4....A+. Desert Cat came on a pallet surrounded by a thick cardboard box...everything neatly packed in bubble wrap and plastic. Had to bolt on wheels, handle bars, front grab bar, fill up battery with acid and install in quad. The rubber strap that holds the battery in place ripped....rubber needs to be a 1/4-1/2" longer....no biggie. Filled the oil injection tank....a little oil resided in tank already so I didn't have to worry about priming for I figured that the Unison plant tested motor. Filled it up with gas, hit the starter and it fired right up A++. This little booger has power for a 90. I screwed the throttle set screw all the way in and it would still go very good....even with my lard butt on it. Thank god we have a girl that knows pain and is not crazy with the throttle. The Desert Cat appears to be a solid little unit.

The only thing I noticed that concerned me is that there is a spuratic rattling noise coming from under the clutch cover....the rear brake lever side. I mainly notice it when it is idling. When you give it gas, noise goes away. Does anyone know how much gear oil your supposed to put in it. I only ran it for about 10 min for I didn't want to tear anything up. The manual only says use SAE 90w gear oil but not how much or how to check it. I did see a filler plug behind the side panel and I looked at that but did not see oil on coned shaped end. Any insight would be greatly appreciated for I have a girl that is wanting to ride.

Thanks,
JMiller

Old 04-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

I told ya it's a good mini. And yes I still believe even though I am having problems.

As for the noise mine has the exact same noise as yours. They do go to!

Keep us updated

Roman

Old 04-09-2005, 11:08 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're referring to the cvt, there is no oil in the clutching system. Probably nothing but I would take the cover off and inspect it for loose screws etc.

FYI- you do not have to remove the kick start to remove the cover.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sandragggen,

Most mini-quad CVTs take 7 ozs of Oil. Some use 80/90 gear oil, some use polaris blue oil (to see though the sight glass) and some use what their manual recommends. I thought for sure the Unison Desert Cat 90 came with a really good manual. If you don't have a manual, perhaps you can obtain from from the below contact??? For new mini-quad owners, a manual is critical.

I'm not familuar with the UDC 90 brand but I can try to help with your Tranny Oil question . To add oil into the CVT, you probably have to pour 7 ozs into the top hole. The hole is smale (too small) on many CVTs. To eliminate a mess, you may want to use an inexpensive squirt tool. The tool I use is - Press Here for a picture - On your brand there may be a dip stick depth meter or a sight glass. If you have a sight glass, it would look like - Press Here for a picture - Your manual should state how to confirm the CVT oil depth.

For minor broken parts, raddles, etc. contact the below person. I've read he's the R&D Prime at Unison and tries very hard to please all new UDC 90 owners. If wondering, his forum id is: unclep

---------------

Forum id: unclep
Email: pforsythe@unison-atv.com <pforsythe@unison-atv.com>
Web site: http://www.unisonmotorsports.com

Hope this helps....

Old 04-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

It has a dip stick!

Roman

Old 04-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

If you go here you can get all the manuals you want for that quad.
CLICK ME

Old 04-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After some surfing, I found the Service Manual.

Filename: http://www.unisonmotorsports.com/ima...cts/pdf_10.pdf

To obtain details on CVT Oil, surf its bottom of page 16.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-09-2005, 11:46 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: defcon5
It has a dip stick!

Roman

The clutch is part of the rear pulley in the cvt and resembles a drum brake. There is no oil in this part of the tranny. Trust me.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

It must be the gear oil then.
My bad.

Thanks for the heads up raptorlegs

Roman

Old 04-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm downloading like crazy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

JMiller

Quick Reply: Received Unison Desert Cat 90 Yesterday