Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja Motorsports 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja Motorsports 90cc

I just bought one of these from Pep Boys and have had to use a battery starter/jumper 2x in a 2 hr period. Pep Boys said they will take care of it, but I'm hoping it's just the battery and not something more serious. Anyone else had a proble like this?

Thanks in advance.
Ben

Old 12-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have fixed a few of these baja atv's. I can tell you for sure that the batteries in these are junk. Buy a good battery and you should be ok. Another thing is that some of these the ignition switch is wired wrong and this could cause the drain. Look at the baja 90cc tread and read Bruinriders post. She lives close to me and I went to her house and fixed both of hers. She got a new battery and I rewired the ignition, tuned the carb and it runs great with the exception that it is cold natured.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks 2Many - I just put in on the charger and thought about how long it had to charge. I watched the guy at Pep boys pour the battery acid in to the battery about 3pm and picked up the quad about 6pm - When I got there, it was not on a charger and my guess - now that I think about it- it was proabley charge very little if any just to start it for me. I put it on a trickle charge and it was about 50% charged - That's my theory at this point any way, but I appreciate your input and will take it into consideration.

Will any motrocycle battery at Walmart work?

Thanks again,
Ben

Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes any cycle battery will work as long as you can fit it into the battery box. You may be right about the charge. They need a good long charge but in any case the batteries are not that good.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds good - Thanks again!!!!!

Ben

Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

I just bought a green Baja 90 ATV for my daughter for Christmas from Pep Boys. I should have went through all the stuff ahead of time as she was disapointed to learn we had to build and charge the cheapo CB7L-B battery for 12-15 hours before she could ride it. Even then, we wore it down pretty quick because the bike just would not idel very good. We have repeated charged it but it wont hold a charge. I returned it to Pep Boys today and they are having Baja send us a new batter in the next 4 days to 10 days. Argh!

I looked around locally for a replacement battery. I would like to get a sealed maintenace free battery of a better quality than the China CB7L-B one that came with the ATV. Can anyone provide input as to a good alternative maintenance free battery? I would go ahead and get one now rather than wait.

Thanks in advance,
Rich in Indiana

Old 12-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Take the old battery to Wal-Mart and start at the cheapest Motorcycle battery. You'll find a replacement, but not by the name of the quad. Just open the boxes until you find the same size case.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip. I went to Walmart today and found an Ever Start 12N94B1 that fits the Baja 90 ATV exactly. The battery is 5 5/16" x 3" x 5 1/2". The positive and negative terminals are backwards from the original battery but that should not matter as the wires can switch easily. I think we are good to go. It is on the charger right now.

Thanks,
Rich in Indiana[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: RichSmith
Thanks for the tip. I went to Walmart today and found an Ever Start 12N94B1 that fits the Baja 90 ATV exactly. The battery is 5 5/16" x 3" x 5 1/2". The positive and negative terminals are backwards from the original battery but that should not matter as the wires can switch easily. I think we are good to go. It is on the charger right now.

Thanks,
Rich in Indiana[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
How much was that battery at wally's ?.......I sure need one......mine is cooked On my Baja after 8 months and they have no cold cranking power on those cheapies......heck I would paid more for more cranking amps in this cold Ohio area.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

It was only $19.97 which was a pretty good deal. It charged right up and seems to have more cranking power than the cheepy china batter that came with it.

We are still having a hard time getting the darn thing to start and stay running. I will call Baja Motorsports tomorrow and see about getting it serviced. I think it is getting way too much gas. Looks like there may be some in the oil as the oil level seems high. Argh!

Good luck!
Rich in Indiana

Quick Reply: Baja Motorsports 90cc