Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

what size for four year olds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size for four year olds?

Thx everyone for the responses! I'm impressed about the debates this thread has started. I respect all of your opinions and I agree with most in one aspect or another. I'm a firefighter/paramedic and fully understand the risks involved. When my boys get their machines they will be well supervised and all the precautions taken and on a very short leash.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally posted by: firedogger When my boys get their machines they will be well supervised and all the precautions taken and on a very short leash.
That's the most important thing. Remember, these are the kids that will pick your nursing home later on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

Originally posted by: motox26
I think people setting age limits is bogus. Every kid is different, and they all mature at different paces. I know some kids that I would trust on a full size quad at a very young age, and I know some 16ish year olds that I would feel iffy about putting them on a smaller machine. I have a daughter due here in about a month, and if she is 3 years old and I know I can trust her judgement by having respect for a machine, I'll stick her on a mini bike that I can restrict. And if she is the type that just goes gun-ho and is off-the wall, then she might be getting a restricted mini at 6, 7, maybe later depending on what I think is best.

Im not necessarily recomending this, or fully agreeing with it, but when I was 5 years old I was stuck on a 200cc 3-wheeler, and at 8 or 9 I rode a ATC250R frequently. I don't think this was great parenting, but the point is that I was the type of kid the had a fear of the machines and respected it's power, so I rode them very cautiously. Now Im not going to go sticking my kids on a 250R at a young age, but I will do what "I" see fit and no one is going to tell me other wise because I will know my children better than anyone else. Half the country doesn't even know what is good for themselves, they shouldn't have the right to tell other people what to do.

Another question about this is, how come you have all this debate over the age limit of children on ATV's, but yet there is 14 year olds jumping tripples on a 125 class MX bike? And you have 12 year olds doing it on 85cc MX bikes![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Why is it that ATVer's seem to get all of the whiny people with the "under 16" crap?

Don't forget the 12 year olds doing 80' doubles on 250's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

Originally posted by: firedogger
Thx everyone for the responses! I'm impressed about the debates this thread has started. I respect all of your opinions and I agree with most in one aspect or another. I'm a firefighter/paramedic and fully understand the risks involved. When my boys get their machines they will be well supervised and all the precautions taken and on a very short leash.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: smb05

Here is the deal, as a tax payer, I will end up having to pay your kids medical cost for his injuries he or she sustained while riding a quad at age 3 or 4 because you have no insurance to cover his medical costs.

Nobody is taking away any tools, they are just not going to allow anyone under the age of 16 to ride a quad, which I think is a little harsh.

Come on now every one has different beliefs and morals there would be no possible way this could ever happen. It would be better to see every child treated equal. But this will never happen either.

Now don't get me wrong I might not agree with everything that people are trying to do, but I do agree that a 4 year old does not have the ability to safely operate a quad. They just do not possess the skills or attention span.
Well as a semi responsible individual I believe in family planning. and that entails that all ducks are in a row prior to the hatching.. so you will not pay for anything to do with my kids. They will also goto private school till they are at least 8th grade when i will give them the choice to attend a public highschool or continue with private schooling. so your taxs may contribute to a 1/3 of their basic schooling.

As for tools? no one is taking them away? where have you been. there has been a continuous assualt on traditional parenting for the past 20 yrs or so.. its a progressive thing. at first it was just a lil but what they want gets bigger and bigger. till if you look at your kid wrong your goin to jail. Children are more and more running the house as parents are scared of the man.

Embrace diversity. allow it to grow. more and more regulation means less and less ability to cultivate our diverse culture.

I know allotta 4 yr olds that can outwitt 30 yr olds. and have posses allot more attention span than I do. I don't know what kids your talkin about. these decisions about the kids are best left to the people who know the kids. Forced regulation is not the way. Positive parenting Is the answer to most of the worlds problems. if you breed hate your kids to have a great chance to hate. think about the atmosphere the children are raised in and provide a positive roll model for them. and its amazing what they can do.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I can see that my responses are being taken the wrong way. Let me clarify my feelings. I do not care if a parent allows their child to ride a quad. I do not care what age the child is or what size the quad is. I do not like Green Eggs and Ham![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Nor do I care if you eat Green Eggs and Ham![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The point is this, too many people are making noise about the injuries sustained by young quad riders, therefore, the government is now involved and with that we all know that changes are on the horizon. Personally, I would not put a four year old on a quad. They are too young, unable to “respect” a quad and from what I have seen of these young riders, they panic and tend to keep going and not stop when in a situation that calls for them to stop.

My comments about being a tax payer and paying for medical costs for injuries sustained by an ATV rider are just that, if a family does not have medical insurance or cannot cover the additional costs for the hospital bill, our tax dollars cover this. When in a forum, generally speaking the quotes are and should be used globally, not necessarily fingering one person.

I am glad, OneFlyCowboy, that you are in to family planning. This is great. I for one know exactly what you are talking about. I have two children that have been in private schools since pre-school. One is now in High School, the other is in Middle School, therefore, I know about the costs and that my tax contributions still go to the public schools even though my children will never go to one.

I’m just saying that there are those out there who put a very small child on a quad whether it is small or large and let them loose. I see it all the time. These are the ones that I worry about. The child is out riding without supervision and when they get hurt, we end up paying. We pay not only with our taxes, but these are the ones that start complaining and get the government involved. I do believe that it is a personal choice as to whether or not a child should ride. Parents do know their child better than anyone else. However, the biggest problem that I see is that many parents say they will be with their child, guide them, watch them, and the next thing you know the child is out and about on their own. This is dangerous.

Also, motox26, I agree with WhoDatInDaMud, if more youngsters were injured and showing up in the emergency rooms after riding the MX bikes, I am sure there would be more noise about regulating these also. I think, and this is my own personal opinion, that the reason there is not so much noise with regards to the bikes is that the injuries are lower due to the weight of the bikes versus the quads. It is easier to get hurt having a quad roll on you then falling off of a bike.

Again, these are my own personal opinions. Each of us has our own thoughts, feelings and rights, therefore, these are mine. I hope that we can continue to have our own choices. If everyone out there was diligent in watching, working and teaching their children to ride ATV’s safe and sound, we might get to keep making our own choices, otherwise, those with big mouths and deep pockets may have the government make them for us.

SB

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

it all comes down to responsible parenting. i say leave it to the parents [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
run away kids. thats what remote shutdown is for [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] if the quad aint got it the lil guy prolly shouldnt be on it.
Can we get some shock collars for the kids too? that way ya just whistle and if the kid dont come runnin shock em [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] thats what im talkin about. maybe have a GPS transmitter in their collar too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] technology is commin

I think why the mx kids dont goto the hospitol is becuase they are classified as "sissys" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and they do all they can to not look like "sissy's" only a wuss goes to the hospitol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It prolly has allot to do with quad people bein wussys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm just a sissy at heart but like to play wussy on 4 wheels [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: smb05
Also, motox26, I agree with WhoDatInDaMud, if more youngsters were injured and showing up in the emergency rooms after riding the MX bikes, I am sure there would be more noise about regulating these also. I think, and this is my own personal opinion, that the reason there is not so much noise with regards to the bikes is that the injuries are lower due to the weight of the bikes versus the quads. It is easier to get hurt having a quad roll on you then falling off of a bike.

I agree that quads are more dangerous, but I disagree that there is a smaller amount of injuries in MX. Have you been to amature MX races? These kids do some extreme things, and are fast, they do get hurt and make frequent visits to get a cast put on. I just think ATV's is an easy target for people to b*tch about.

As far as quad deaths, I've experienced my share of that unfortunately, and I've never heard of one locally that involved a young child. A 16 year old female just died in the town over from me, driving a quad on the road, at night, without headlights last month, and that is one of the youngest I have heard of locally.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 4 and a 5 year old they are both On kazuma 50s my four year old has exceptional motor skills and rides this quad so well and is such a natural I'm getting him a 70 both him in his brother the engine is fine as a 50 but the 70 s come with a full suspension. I have very strict guidelines they follow and i am always out in the yard with them when they ride they also have almost full use of the throttle because i believe they learn more control when you let them have more i started with a little bit of throttle and worked up to almost full i would never i mean NEVER.... JEPRODISE MY KIDS SAFTY AND IF I THOUGH THEY COULDNT HANDLE IT I WOULDNT DO IT...

Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

At age 4 it should be ABC not ATV

Quick Reply: what size for four year olds?