Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

what size for four year olds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size for four year olds?

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Here is a solution. Lets just prevent stupid people from breeding. I will chair an organization which unlocks a persons fertility. Till the time in wich you can demonstrate capability for responsible parenting your sperm or eggs are locked. Have to develop some technology here. but after a couple generations all the stupid people would be gone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
LOL - now thats funny.

How come I cant get this point across? - Its not about the parents! Its not about age restrictions or ATV size or any of that - its not about the 4 year old child becuase you know NOTHING about this child - Its about you!

When someone new come in this forum asks "what size for a four year old" I see all these "I've been riding since I was potty trained" posts telling some possibly completely ignorant person who has a kid 2 light years behind the rest of the class that they should go get a 50, 70, or 90cc ATV before you know anything about the child sitting under the kitchen table feeding the cat laundry detergent.

I did this! I did that! I didn't die! That makes me the feakin expert and I can speak for all children and parents everywhere - give me a break.!

Everything - EVERYTHING points to a 4 year old being WAY to young for a motorized vehicle.

Isn't it just a little odd that every document held up by every professional organizations points to your being wrong?

Remember the comment I made about crazy people? Geesh... This is like preaching to sharks to lay off the fish.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud

When someone new come in this forum asks "what size for a four year old" I see all these "I've been riding since I was potty trained" posts telling some possibly completely ignorant person who has a kid 2 light years behind the rest of the class that they should go get a 50, 70, or 90cc ATV before you know anything about the child sitting under the kitchen table feeding the cat laundry detergent.
This is exactly what I struggle with when people ask me when my kids started riding dirt bikes.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Isn't it just a little odd that every document held up by every professional organizations points to your being wrong?

Remember the comment I made about crazy people? Geesh... This is like preaching to sharks to lay off the fish.
Come on now. We all know statistics can be molded to tell whatever story you want. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I like your shark analogy.. Oh and the kid sittin under the table eatin kitty litter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] although i have to question the sanity(dual clean and mental) of the people with a catbox in the kitchen, for that matter cats chittin in their house [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Yuk

Personally My kids will need to demonstrate some skills on things without motors before they get motors.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything - EVERYTHING points to a 4 year old being WAY to young for a motorized vehicle. .
I disagree. Im not saying let your kid loose on a quad on there own, but I don't see why you can't let them on a restricted vehicle running along side of them. Two things you can get out of that.....

1) Spending quality time with your child with something you both enjoy (if you both do enjoy it of course), building on something that you two can have a bond with.
2) Even on a highly restricted ATV/bike, they can learn basic fundamentals of riding and become comfortable with these machines. They will be a more instinctive rider, which makes a safer rider IMO.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26
Everything - EVERYTHING points to a 4 year old being WAY to young for a motorized vehicle. .
I disagree. Im not saying let your kid loose on a quad on there own, but I don't see why you can't let them on a restricted vehicle running along side of them. Two things you can get out of that.....

1) Spending quality time with your child with something you both enjoy (if you both do enjoy it of course), building on something that you two can have a bond with.
2) Even on a highly restricted ATV/bike, they can learn basic fundamentals of riding and become comfortable with these machines. They will be a more instinctive rider, which makes a safer rider IMO.
Zero points.

Its NOT about the Parent, the Kid, or the Cat. Its about what your going to tell a newcomer to this forum when they ask what is the best quad for thier unborn child.

All the professional organizations - Including the larger ATV orgainizations recommend NOT putting a child less then 6 years old on any motorized ATV. The Manufactures, the ATV dealers, law enforcement, child protection, National Product Safety Commission, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Consumer Federation of America, the National Organization of Orthopedic Nurses , National Childrens Reserch Foundation, The Child Health and Human Development Council, The National Research Council for Child Development and Pediatric Practitioners, and many many others are who you are disagreeing with. Not me. I would not begin to argue with these people as they are pretty knowledgeable in the areas to which they practice.

Even if you choose to ignore all of the advise and statements from all of the professional research and advisory organizations - Do you ask a new poster if thier childs hands are large enough to grasp the brake? Do you ask if they can stand on the floorboards and have their inseam 2 inches or more off the seat? Can they turn the handlebars to each limit and remain seated? ie - will they even FIT the machine? Does anyone ask if the poster is aware of power limitation devices or remote kill switches? Do you inquire if the parent is prepared to spend EVERY MINUTE closely supervising the child becuase these things can be extremely dangerous and not baby sitters? A 4 year old can't even balance a bicycle - whats going to happen when this machine starts to tip?

I read the posts. and the answer is more frequently - no. So who are you helping? Certainly not the poster or the child thats for sure.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

What about a lawnmower? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I had one of them snapper mowers when i was 5yrs old. man that thing was a hoot. I used to drive around the rural roads on it between our buildings and i even mowed the lawn [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ya - my kid was 6 and went twenty feet on the rider before completing half of a 180 turn directly into the side of our brand new boat. So tell me about it....

Old 02-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Umm what are brakes for? I cant reach the floorboards on my horse what do i do? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Ya - my kid was 6 and went twenty feet on the rider before completing half of a 180 turn directly into the side of our brand new boat. So tell me about it....
Its tough to reach the clutch to stop them things when your short [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

If your 17 year and 11 months kid screws up and gets busted for doing something stupid. I bet you'll want him to be viewed as a juvenile. Not an adult. I guess age limits only apply when they benifit you.

Quick Reply: what size for four year olds?