Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

I want to upgrade my '95 Suzuki LT80 to a 105

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to upgrade my '95 Suzuki LT80 to a 105

I'm in my mid-30s, and our 1995 LT80 has been in our family since new. My son is about to outgrow it (he now rides our Warrior 350), but I love the 80 and want to keep it for myself. I'll get "raised" handlebars, wider A-arms (our spacers don't work well), Elka shocks, etc. This will be my personal fun bike for the next dozen years. But I want to have clutch work done and make the stock engine stronger. I was originally thinking of a 105cc kit with a stroker crank, but now I believe the stroker won't be necessary if I get the engine properly ported with the 105cc alone. It should be strong enough to carry me around nicely in the dunes (I'm 155 lbs).

Has anyone had any experience with big bore and/or stroker kits for the LT80? Would I be better off with or without the stroker? I was thinking that the stroker might compromise the reliability and life of the engine. Or should I keep the sleeve original and simply overbore it, like +0.40? Also, does anyone know if there are domed or otherwise high-compression pistons for the LT80?

Thanks.
Sean

Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
This site has more LT80 info than anywhere! You may want to read up a lil. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Now, LT80 ~~ class 101..LOL
With a stock stroke, the 105 piston gives you 96 cc's. A +3mm stroked crank (45mm) will give 104 cc's.
There is no high comp piston.
300ex bars work well. and Works shocks are the norm seeins the fruity French Canadians at Elka don't seem to build them for a LT80 (even tho they told me they did)... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Now the sorry fact is, the 96/105 kit is a total waste of time, money, and parts.
My stock bore LT80 motor kit is what's needed. It covers all motor and clutch mods resulting in 2 to 3 times the HP(depending on the pipe used) and from 6500 to 12k rpm's.
Don't buy a carb or a pipe (yet).
I have alot of motors in the dunes, they love em.
I've made a few for you big kids also, they love em too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great! I was hoping you'd be the one to reply to my question. Actually, I HAVE poked around the forums over the past couple of years, reading some of what you've written. The more I read, the more I realize I didn't really know jack-squat about my bike. I hope to change that.

I interested in building a stronger (yet reliable) motor, so keeping it stock (not using a 105 kit) is just fine with me, as long as the power is increased enough for me to have fun with it. I read somewhere that the stock motor dynos at about 6 bhp (at the crank, I believe). Doubling that would be fantastic!

I won't be putting a dime into the bike until I have everything lined up, and for me that starts with the motor. I'll listen to whatever advice you have, as well as for the best pipe, carb (to 20mm or not to 20mm), etc. Good news about the Works shocks, since they're usually cheaper than Elka on any day of the week, although I hope they'll be able to custom build for the +3 A-arms due to the changed geometry. My son was airlifted to the hospital a couple of years ago after a high-speed rollover on the stock LT80, so the wheel spacers were a great "bandaid" to immediately make it wider, but they're not really the best for handling. And go figure...a couple of weeks later he was begging to go back out again. Brings a tear to a proud father's eye (although my wife gave me a good scolding) LOL.

In any case, I expect to start tearing down for a complete front-to-rear bike rebuild around next March. I'd appreciate any advice you can give (or perhaps you have a website I can go to for more info on your motor kits and services?).

Thanks!