Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How to remove governor from Suzuki LTZ-50

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove governor from Suzuki LTZ-50"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lowlife
Now the LTA50 is another story. After removing the two restrictor washers, you can open the carb and adjust your needle position as well as remove the secondary jet plug. It's a small set screw covering the secondary jetting. This will give the bike a little more top end. Hope this helps:^)</end quote></div>

When I bought our 2002 Quadmaster 50 back in 2002 the dealer said they leave the intake and exhaust restrictors out. The way the recommend slowing it down is the screw on the throttle lever. This is all I used. The other night I took the carb off to clean it. I took out the set screw in the jet and put it back because I didn't know what it was for.

My son is 7 now and is really getting good on it. Is it worth taking the carb off just to take with set screw out of the jet? Is there a noticeable difference in power?

Thanks, NYH1.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove governor from Suzuki LTZ-50

Yes, remove the secondary pilot jet. Make sure both intake and exhaust restrictors are removed. Remove the end cap from the muffler exhaust pipe (held on with two screws). Drill a few extra holes in the airbox lid (the existing hole is smaller than the carb throat, thus restricting airflow). Finally, replace the main jet with a #75 Mikuni jet, available from any Suzuki dealer for a couple of bucks. Make sure to readjust the idle back to 1800 RPM when you're all done.

With these changes the little engine will wake up quite a bit. My son can sustain ~20 MPH on normal trails and has enough torque to climb almost anything. He absolutely loves it.

You can go farther, using aftermarket exhaust systems and shaving the head and smoothing the ports and retrofitting larger carbs and such, but those take more time and cash. The changes recommended above won't cost $10 total. Think of it as the low hanging fruit waiting to be harvested.