Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

newb alert: Starting a new Chinese ATV fresh from the crate.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb alert: Starting a new Chinese ATV fresh from the crate.

This is what I've learned assembling new in-the-crate chinese ATV's.
1. Put the damn thing together.
2. Visit your local ATV dealer to pickup the missing parts, (lug nuts, front dust covers etc)
3. Fill (or change) ALL the fluids, oil, gear oil, anti-freeze with a known brand that you trust. (Do not start the engine with the oil that is shipped in it, for this step cheap no-name 10w-40 will do nicely.)( very important. Do NOT use synthetic oil for the first engine run)
4. Fill the battery with the included eltrolyte. And then before hooking it up to your ATV, (very important), connect the battery to a 10 amp charger overnight.
5. After letting the battery charge for 10-12 hours put it in the ATV and hook it up.
6. Open the in-line fuel valve. Open the carburator drain on the carburator bowl and add a quart of 90+ octane gasoline to the tank (you can experiment with the cheap stuff after the break-in run). When fuel runs out the drain hose without any air bubbles close the drain on the bowl and finish filling the tank.
7. (Very important) put the key in the key-switch.
8. Pull the choke lever, if you have one. If you don't have a choke lever ignore this.
9. Turn the key one click to the right. (clockwise)
10. Press the starter switch at 10 second intervals (waiting 30 seconds between intervals) until the engines starts.
11. Feather the throttle lever as needed with the engine idling for 30 minutes. (Adjust the carb later)
12. After thirty minutes has passed switch the engine off and close the in-line fuel valve.
13. Walk away until morning.
14. Drain the engine oil and pull the oil filter or oil screen. Clean the oil screen!
15. Replace the engine oil with a good multi weight Xw-40. (Again do not use synthetic just yet)
16. Check all the remaining fluids.
17. Start it up and let the engine warm up for 2 or 3 minutes then ride normally for the first tank of gas.
18. Adjust the carburator idle speed and mixture if needed.
19. After about 1 full gas tank worth of riding normally repeat step 15. You may use synthetic motor oil at this point and begin your experiments with lower octane fuels.
20. Look for loose or missing bolts and replace and loctite as needed.
21. I am not an ATV dealer, I sell plumbing supplies.
22. Anybody wanna buy a new toilet?

Old 02-10-2007, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

How long before I can put synthetic stuff in my new toilet?

Old 02-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

why would you want to let a new quad run and idle for 30 min ????????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

the reason you want to run the atv 30 minutes before riding is that some of these atvs have gel packs in the carb, these are designed to disolve with gasoline, if you don't le it dislove then the chances aere pretty good of clogging up the jets and fuel passage ways.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

21. I am not an ATV dealer, I sell plumbing supplies.

And not a mechanic either by the looks of your break-in........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: billl2099
the reason you want to run the atv 30 minutes before riding is that some of these atvs have gel packs in the carb, these are designed to disolve with gasoline, if you don't le it dislove then the chances aere pretty good of clogging up the jets and fuel passage ways.
I'm not a little kid on here and have been around quads motorcycles jetski's most of my life.I ave never herd of such a thing ?? also I 'm trying to keep both of my kids mpx90 running as we speak ,I am experiencing the clogged jets and ruff idling issues and this gel packs would certainly explain what I am experiencing with these quads!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

This was all done with my tongue in my left cheek (NO, not that one!). I was hoping it would bring at least a small chuckle.
As for the XavierOnasis that wanted to know how soon he could put the synthetic stuff in his toilet, it depends on how soon you can ween your self off of your mama's teet. (the tongues in the right cheek now.)
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Good list, but you miseed the most imporatant one:

Step 0: Stock up on good, colorful cuss words and metaphors, you'll need them!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: nicko31
Originally posted by: billl2099
I'm not a little kid on here and have been around quads motorcycles jetski's most of my life.I ave never herd of such a thing ?? also I 'm trying to keep both of my kids mpx90 running as we speak ,I am experiencing the clogged jets and ruff idling issues and this gel packs would certainly explain what I am experiencing with these quads!!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum nicko31! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The gel pack is very common in chinese quad's. Every Jetmoto that i have warmed up for 15-20 minutes has been fine. The one i tried to ride before letting it idle a while needed to have its carb cleaned.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Greetings, I guess my I should explain my question further, If a motor sits and runs for 30 minutes or is ridden for 30 minutes gas is still going through the carburetor so what difference does it make if it's idling or being ridden???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newb alert: Starting a new Chinese ATV fresh from the crate.