Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

TaoTao (VBike) ATA-125-F Performance/Upgrades/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao (VBike) ATA-125-F Performance/Upgrades/Questions

Hello all, new user (and owner) here.

I recently purchased a TaoTao ATA-125-F (from HERE ).
Before you start, I don't want to hear what kind of "junk" these are, should have bought a Honda/Yamaha, etc.
I am fully aware you pay for what you get.
I purchased this for myself but mainly my teenage boys. If all goes well, will upgrade later of course.

But for the time being, I have a few questions. Please remember I am an ATV newbie when answering.

1. Has anyone ever had the problem of getting "bent" wheels before? While riding straight out of the box, the front wheels wobble.

2. Anyone know the model for an upgradeable spark plug for this machine? I understand NGK is good, but does anyone know the model I would need?

3. Chain. I hear the chains that come on these are cheap, and would like to upgrade it. Any suggestions? Specific size(s)/names, etc. would greatly help.

4. Would you recommend upgrading the sprocket(s)? What about teeth?

5. I keep seeing CDI upgrades. Can someone explain this to me, and what to get for my machine?

6. Shocks. Any recommendation on replacing these, or is stock OK?

7. Any other performance modifications you can think of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Chris

Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default TaoTao (VBike) ATA-125-F Performance/Upgrades/Questions

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Triple_X

Before you start, I don't want to hear what kind of "junk" these are, should have bought a Honda/Yamaha, etc.

I purchased this for myself but mainly my teenage boys. If all goes well, will upgrade later of course.

But for the time being, I have a few questions. Please remember I am an ATV newbie when answering.

1. Has anyone ever had the problem of getting "bent" wheels before? While riding straight out of the box, the front wheels wobble.

2. Anyone know the model for an upgradeable spark plug for this machine? I understand NGK is good, but does anyone know the model I would need?

3. Chain. I hear the chains that come on these are cheap, and would like to upgrade it. Any suggestions? Specific size(s)/names, etc. would greatly help.

5. I keep seeing CDI upgrades. Can someone explain this to me, and what to get for my machine?

--Chris</end quote></div>

Like the picture above?
I bought my wife a Vbike (TAOTAO) 150D earlier this year. It is a pretty solid little unit. I did have a few problems but have worked through them.

1. I would take off your wheels and remount them. Torque the bolts down in a criss cross pattern and in even increments. It is possible that they did not torque bolts properly and have slightly flexed the wheel. I have three MIC's and none of the wheels were bent.

2. Might try here for a cross reference number. http://www.ngk.com/default.asp

3. Have not had to mess with my chains yet. They seem fine so far.

4. Have not messed with sprockets. Usually you only mess with sprockets if you want more low end power or a higher speed. Just remember that you have to give up one for the other. Our TaoTao seems to be powered just right. Plenty of low end for climbing and it will do about 40-45 on a flat road.

5. CID acts like the old points and weighted spark advance did. Different CID's may give you more power by changing the spark advance or spark curve on the engine. Some are adjustable by a ****. From what I have read it is the least bang for the buck in getting more power. Usually used for racers that are trying to get every bit of power they can. I would just stay with the OEM until it fails. If it fails.

6. Have not had any problems with our shocks.

7. I hear that the exhaust is the easiest place to find more power. Something to do with baffles restricting exhaust flow. I have seen a lot of info on this on the scooter forums.

Hope this helps. ghcoe..

Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Triple_X

--Chris
Hi, I bought a TaoTao TForce 125 for my boys recently. The front tires had a bad wobble and bit of vibration right away. I quickly realized that the Tyrods were out of alignment so I adjusted them and got em straight and it fixed that issue. I highly recommend going with smaller rear sprocket. I did adjust my suspension a little also but I am happy with it. I took of stock air filter and went with new kng filter. I went through and used loc tight on everything I could because the manufacturer did not use any dampening on the motor mounts so they have like a natural vibration. Only other thing I did was take the baffle off exhaust which is just a screen and that seemed to help hp a little. Not sure how old this post is but hopefully this might help..

Old 04-02-2018, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

11 years old, the kids will be grown up by now.

However your Loctite, changing sprockets, and tracking advice may help those who find this post.