Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids Kawasaki KFX50 speed limiter Help

Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to be a satisfied power user!

Hi Airmobile101.

New ATV owner here although I grew up on some of those honda 3-wheelers and some dirtbikes. I read this thread discussing power improvements to 2007 KFX 50s. I gambled and picked up a 2004 KFX 50 2 stroke as my 8 yr old daughter’s first ATV. It is OK for her but I can see that in a few months (maybe weeks!) she will already want more power and I probably should’ve picked up something with more room to grow.

Like everyone else has said it seems as though you are the expert in squeezing out every drop of power from these minis. Do your power improvement methods only work for 4 stroke models? If any work for the '04 two stroke KFX50 I would greatly appreciate your help with part no.s and any pics/diagrams of what to do. Thanks a mill - my daughter and I appreciate it!!!

Cheers, Keith

Last edited by Muddzy; 04-25-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Muddzy
Hi Airmobile101.

New ATV owner here although I grew up on some of those honda 3-wheelers and some dirtbikes. I read this thread discussing power improvements to 2007 KFX 50s. I gambled and picked up a 2004 KFX 50 2 stroke as my 8 yr old daughter’s first ATV. It is OK for her but I can see that in a few months (maybe weeks!) she will already want more power and I probably should’ve picked up something with more room to grow.

Like everyone else has said it seems as though you are the expert in squeezing out every drop of power from these minis. Do your power improvement methods only work for 4 stroke models? If any work for the '04 two stroke KFX50 I would greatly appreciate your help with part no.s and any pics/diagrams of what to do. Thanks a mill - my daughter and I appreciate it!!!

Cheers, Keith
I have a 2003 kfx 50, two stroke.
Have taken out the intake and exhaust restrictors. I also took out the pilot jet in the carb. You'll need to drill holes in the cap of the air filter, to equal out the fuel/air mix if you remove the pilot jet. This model has no cvt collar, as the newer models do, which is a major mod.
These were all free mods that helped a lot on top end!
My 5 year old races it after this on dirt tracks, and I found that the top end was better than most other 50s, but he lost time on the hills and turns, so I improved to a 40t rear sprocket form the stock 37t. This helps a lot, he is able to get holeshot, may have lost a little top end, but I can gain that back in the carb and cdi. Once these little guys get in front, they usually stay there

Old 05-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by AIRMOBILE101
Not quite sure what your asking? Top speed? Mods? Got my sons to go about 26MPH with plenty more to offer. Thats the 4-stroke 07-08 models.
I would love to know how? Removed cvt collar and took exhaust off but didnt see any restrictors. Topping out at 15 mph

Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kfx 50

Where can u find the cdi?

Originally Posted by DSengineer
Removing the CVT collar takes top speed from ~8MPH to ~15MPH. You'll want to use an impact wrench to access the collar.

While you have it open replace the stock clutch rollers with a lighter set 5-6grams ($20-30). Stock are 8 grams and are too heavy. This mod helps low end but will also make the motor start hitting the stock rev limiter on top end. Replacing the stock CDI with a higher rev unit (~$180) will get you +20MPH and have a pretty good little running 50cc maching for about $200 total.

With the increased speed comes less stability. Another free mod is to move the rear offset wheels to the front and the front wheels to the rear. This adds 3-4" inches of width to the front and creates a much more stable manchine when the little ones are doing those high speed turns. I hightly recommend doing this if you do any of the mods above. The valve stems on the rear wheels will now be on the inside but it is small inconvenience given the added stability

Old 03-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Trinypmak02
Where can u find the cdi?
Please help

Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Ezra
Please help
same haha. Did you ever find one that worked?

Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If it is the same bike as the Suzuki LT50 it doesn't have a CDI. Suzuki said it was built into the HT coil, but I suspect it was more like a contactless magneto system.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
If it is the same bike as the Suzuki LT50 it doesn't have a CDI. Suzuki said it was built into the HT coil, but I suspect it was more like a contactless magneto system.
Thanks for replying, I’m not too familiar with the Suzuki, but the kawi does in fact have a cdi. I just went ahead and ordered one off of eBay, we’ll see what happens I guess lol

Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by j_edwards723@yahoo.com
Thanks for replying, I’m not too familiar with the Suzuki, but the kawi does in fact have a cdi. I just went ahead and ordered one off of eBay, we’ll see what happens I guess lol
If it works, please let me know which cdi you got... Looking to push past 13mph on a 2019 kfx50 in a bit

Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your KFX50 is a Kymco. Maybe make your own thread for others to see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kids Kawasaki KFX50 speed limiter Help