Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

4 wire ignition diagram

Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wire ignition diagram

I have one of those 90cc kids quads. I was told when bought, it was made by"Newstar". It has one of those honda 90cc replica motors. The issue I had is; I left the key at home, went out to ride & could not start it. I removed the key mechanisim & was able to turn the ignition on/off with out the key til now. At the end of my daughters riding this last weekend, the wires came disconnected from the back of the ignition switch.

What I'm looking to do is wire it up to a toggle switch & need to know which wire does what & in what combo I should do my soildering. Has anyone tried this before or know how I would get this done properly?

Thanks in advance,
-No-One-

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd be suprised if anyone answers, only because usually a first time poster asking questions about how to hotwire /bypass an ignition switch usually is for the wrong reason ... no offence intended

Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, it's just not the first time I tried it. The first time I did tried to hotwire it and fried the coil. Now I don't want to "hot wiring", just not wanting to deal w/ the key anymore. I can simple replace the ignition but the next time I forget it... then it starts all over again.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum No One![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I could probably figure it out if I had the broken switch in my hand. Just not going to be much help over the internet.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was told that the 4 wire ignitions are all pretty much the same. I beleave 1 hot, 1 ground, 1 to the coil, and the other... possibly the on-off/kill switch. I'm not possitive, just looking for what colors in what order so I don't fry anything again.

I looked in the manual but the printer used to make the diagram is cheaper then the quad, can't really read it.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: -No-One-

I was told that the 4 wire ignitions are all pretty much the same. I beleave 1 hot, 1 ground, 1 to the coil, and the other... possibly the on-off/kill switch. I'm not possitive, just looking for what colors in what order so I don't fry anything again.

I looked in the manual but the printer used to make the diagram is cheaper then the quad, can't really read it.</end quote></div>

I would have to sit down with the switch and a volt meter to figure it out.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what color are the wires coming from the motor red,black, brown and a blue/white stripe?

Old 05-19-2022, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I had the same question

I know it’s been awhile but just in case anyone comes across the same question as i did and yourself this is what i found
The ignition switch is actually two separate switches ganged together on a common shaft. Switch #1 turns battery power on and off to everything that runs on DC battery power. Switch #2 is a kill switch. It shorts the kill switch wire to ground when the ignition switch is turned off. This is what kills the engine when you turn off the quad at the ignition switch.

Red: Fused battery power
Black: Switched battery power
Green: Ground
Black/White: Kill switch input to CDI

On your ignition switch turn it to the "off" position. Two of the four wires will be shorted together by the switch. Wire those two wires to Green and Black/White (it doesn't matter which way around).

Turn your ignition switch to the "on" position. The other two wires on the ignition switch should now be shorted together by the switch. Wire those two wires to the red and black wires in the harness (again it doesn't matter which way around).

For temporary test purposes you could just twist the red and black wires in the harness, and leave the black/white and green wires hanging free. The quad should start and run normally, but to shut off the quad you'll have to use the left handlebar kill switch. Untwist the two wires when you're done to keep the battery from being drained.

Caution: The kill switch wire (black/white) has high voltage on it whenever the quad is running. It is current limited (it is gets shorted to ground to kill the engine after all...), but the current is high enough to knock you on your butt. So keep you fingers off that wire when the engine is running.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Sorry but mods should take your answer off, for reasons given in post 2 above.