Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What quad to get for my 10 year old

Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What quad to get for my 10 year old

Anyone have any ideas on what quad I should get for my 10 yr old? She's been riding since she was 5, she's ridin a Lt80, and a couple of different cheapie's. the problem is that she is almost 5 foot tall already and those smaller quad are to small. Any thoughts would be great

Old 02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 5 years riding experience it's a safe bet that the 90 class will be too small even though for her height she'd work on the larger 90's until hitting 5'-2" to 5'-5" or so.

I would say something in the 250 class. Depending on how you think her future skill levels will go and what kind of riding you do, you can find full utilities or sport bikes with trannys ranging from full automatic, autoclutch 5-speeds or full clutch sport bikes. Kymco is making several models sold by AC, Polaris and Can-Am that are all 250 automatics that look pertty good. The Honda Recon and Suzuki Ozark are top of the line utilities with auto clutches - both are available in sport odels too. In fact, the Honda 250EX has that sport clutch feature that can be used as an autoclutch or a manual clutch. Then for pure sport there is Yamaha's new 250 - definately one of the hotter sport bikes in this class.

The main thing is that the 250 class stays in the 350 to 400 pound range for the quad - that's a managable size for a rider who is around 100 to 150 pounds. Also, tht size will last her for many years - in fact, for a woman's typical size and weight it would go as an adult bike. My wife rides an Ozark 250 and prefers the size of it to our slightly larger Eiger. Also, your daughter should fit the 250 class now - you certainly don't want to get any quad that she will have to grow into.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, thats kinda what i've been leaning toward, but she 5' and only 90 lbs, so i have alittle concern with the weight of the bigger bikes, at the same time though she's just to tall for those smaller bikes. We go to the dunes mostly, but we sqeeze in a few desert trips a year as well, so i'm prob. looking for more of a sport bike.

Thanks again

Old 02-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

My youngest son is 10 and we have just moved him from the LT80 to a TRX90. He's right at 90 pounds and just under 5' tall too. Definately too big for the LT - he can still ride it but you can tell that the balance is off. I expect that the TRX90 will hold him for about two years or so, depending on when he gets that pre-teen growth spurt. For your daughters size and for dunes I would highly recommend the TRX90 from Honda. It's one of the largest of the mini's, has lots of bottom end power plus it's an autoclutch four-speed with dual hand brakes and a foot brake just like full sized quads. The only downside is that for you too, this will be about a two year bike. New TRX90's run $2,800 - very pricey for a kids quad. But if you could find a used one, use it for two years you could resell for close to your purchase price. In my case it was easy to justify - I've got three boys who have moved up in quad size as they got bigger and more skilled - the oldest (16) just took over my Eiger last week.

You know your daughters skills best - if you feel that she needs a year or two of growth to get into the 250 class, then I'd look around for a Honda 90.

Jaybee

Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

apex makes a 110 i think its more of a race quad but its a great size liquid cooled lots of travel very reliable. my son is twelve under 5 feet tall and thin, he just went to a blaster. i know its too fast for him , but it is governed, light weight, easy to start, easy learn on for clutch. the rapter 250 looks like a great quad

Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

i say go for a blaster there small and she can grow into it and their pretty easy to find for @1000 sounds like she's been riding along time so if she likes to shift the blaster is good or automatic a trailblazer 250,

My sons 9 he rides a eton 90 since his 7th bd, he'll be 10 in july. i found a tb250 for his next bike for a smokin deal.
he's driven my sport 400 several times with me on it and loaded mine up and putts around too but the other day when the snow was deep i asked him if wanted to ride the 250 and he said he didn't think he was ready for that yet. lol, and rode his instead
i rode the tb 250 today and thats a fun quad with me at 40, i could only wish for one that nice when i was 10 my dad made me ride my little yamaha gt80 till i was atleast 14 and saved my money.

blaster or trailblazer 250

Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

My 8 and 10 year old boys have really enjoyed our 150's and I feel are the perfect size to be safe for youngsters and are Fully automatic with front and rear disc for easy stopping!
http://jetmotousa.com/view_atv...AAE204AEFA?pid=2548817

Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son is 10 1/2 and I had him on a ds90 2 years ago and next friday plan to get him a raptor 250. I plan to set the throttle way down on the trails and will probly give him a little more throttle on the dunes. I'm thinking with the throttle turned down he shouldn't be over-reving in 1st gear. I'll leave him at that until I feel he's out grown that speed.
I think its hard for manufactures to make the proper size atv's for this age group because theres the reccomended cc's. Its to bad they're not smart enough to say less than 90cc 2 stroke or 150cc 4 stroke. By not adding 2stroke/4stroke guidlines they don't really justifly the size limit. To me the perfect kids atv would be the new ds90x with a 120cc to 150cc 4 stroke motor. Instead of factories trying to protect kids they put them more in harms way by not making that small mid size quad made for kids. You get to small or to big. imo
-Voodoomagic

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have my 10 year old on a Polaris Outlaw 90. Its a great machine and has plenty of power in the dunes. He is tall also but doesn't weigh much. The outlaw fits him perfect and it has more suspension travel than the other big brands. Check it out, you wont be disappointed.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

10 yrs old and you guys are recommending a 250-300?
The LT80's are not too small, just too slow. Make em fast and they will ride em till 12 yrs old easy.
My daughter raced a LT80 till 15 yrs. old and she was 5 ft or so and won. Both my boys were 5 ft. and raced a LT80 in the front of the pack. My kids were not on a bigger machine till 12 and they had great skills.
10 1/2 and a Raptor 250...I refuse to understand.
When your kids are in a ambulance, you'll understand.
That's my 2 cents on this.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What quad to get for my 10 year old