Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris predator 90 leaking carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris predator 90 leaking carb

Hi guys, My name is Rick and I'm new to atv connection. I've spent hours trying to figure out what's wrong with my kids predator. It's a 90cc 2 stroke and it started leaking gas out of the overflow. I adjusted the float and did it little by little with trial and error. Kept leaking until I got to the point that it stopped leaking but wasn't getting any fuel. So I threw in the towel on that carb and just bought a new one. It was oem and as soon as I got it on the same thing happened. It only leaks when its idling or off. It starts and runs fine but as soon as you stop or shut it off it pours out. I have no idea what could cause this. I wouldn't think it could have anything to do with the motor because it leaks when it's off. I've googled it and can't find anything about it. Has anyone dealt with this or have an idea what is happening?

Old 05-17-2020, 03:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Usually dirt in the tank. It comes down and jams the float needle open. Sometimes turning the tank tap off, running the engine until it stops from lack of fuel, then turning the tap on, will flush the dirt off the now wide open needle. If it has done it again with a new carb, looks like a thorough tank clean or an in-line filter, is called for.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try it but even after I clean the carb it leaks right away

Old 05-17-2020, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Cleaning the carb wont fix a bad needle/seat, could still be a piece of dirt wedged in somewhere. As mentioned try an inline fuel filter

Old 05-18-2020, 07:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Using non ethanol fuel will help. The needle gets sticky from the ethanol.
I install a cheap inline stop valve. when done riding, shut off and run the carb dryu. When the valve turns on, it washes the needle/seat off.
Maybe that can help.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

Been using ethanol fuel for years with no issues, even my 1983 boat. If your gonna store for a period of time then use an additive as ethanol is not good for storage of 6 months or more. Ethanol is actually a cleaner, it cleans and breaks up crud in fuel systems thus causing issues in a dirty fuel system. Clean fuel system thoroughly, including a good carb rebuild with a quality kit and you fuel system will be good to go !!!

Old 05-18-2020, 08:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You buy any small motor machine, read the fine print. Warranty void if ethanol fuel is used.
Per google (and what I knew) Ethanol is for absorbing water. Notice that vehicles with "flex fuel" will have stainless steel fuel lines. If not stainless, rust will form from the water and flake off. This explains it. https://axleaddict.com/misc/Pros-and...Ethanol-in-Gas

Old 05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Recently bought a lawn mower and a weed eater, neighbor just bought a chainsaw and all are rated for 10% ethenol. Been using ethanol fuel since it came out, not one single issue! But then I do take care of my stuff. No long term storage without draining or treating my fuel. Keep filters clean and replaced as needed. My boat is a 1983 and my motorhome is a 1994, all have original engines and run perfect. One neighbor has had issues that he blames on ethenol....but he never maintains a thing. Puts stuff away over winter with half empty tanks and no fuel treatment. Never touches anything until it stops running then blames all his problems on the fuel.
Flex fuel cars have been an issue for years, people need to quit mixing the 2 fuel types, that is where the issue is!! I have a 2008 and a 2015 that are rated for 10% ethenol....no E85 crap, never an issue with either. E85 works great if the engine is setup for E85 only! Just look as Nascar...more power with less cubic inch on cars that run 25% ethanol and also better fuel economy. Dragster are the same way, more power with alcohol fuel.