Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

hensim 250 Atv Runs Like Crap HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hensim 250 Atv Runs Like Crap HELP!!

Hey Guys I just bought a 2006 Hensim 250 Atv for 200.00 The quad doesn't look like it has been ridden at all the guy i Got it from said it has a timing problem he changed the cdi and it didn't make a difference,, I drained the gas and the plug the battery is weak so i hooked it up to a battery charger so I can start it with the pull starter but sometimes the rope will kick back and fells like it will break your hand I have it so it will sit there and run but it bogs out and pops when you give it throttle and it looks as though he has had the cover off behind the pull starter back you can see fresh orange permatex at the joint [no where else] is this where the stator is ? I have worked on alot of stuff but don't like going in elbow deep with out a manual or blowup of what i'm dealing with,, Im not sure if I'm even looking in the right direction or should I check something else Any Suggestions or Maybe where I Can Find A blowup of this machine or manual Would be GREAT Thanks in advance for any info

Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know how much lp I'll be t lets try.

First off I'm not too familiar with Hensim, other than they are really inexpensive (and that to me tells me most of what I need to know about them). But heck out www.hensimusa.com and you can download a manual there.

You drained the gas out of the tank so I'm assuming you did on the carb too...if not do it. While you are at it clean that carb. If it's had old gas sitting in it for a while it won't start or run very well. If it's backfiring and bogging then you'll need to adjust that carb as well. Check the manual and find the throttle adjusting screws on the carb and that will tell you how to lean it out or richin up the mix. Also check the plug - white and burned you are running lean, all gunky you are running rich.

If you're looking for the electric starter my guess is that it will be mounted on the front of the motor...probably a cylinder looking thing that is roughly the size of a shaving cream can. (again...I'm just guessing though...I've never seen one of these bikes).

As far as the pull-starter backup...that could be a number of things. It could be that the previous owner messed with it and simply didn't correctly wrap it back together...could also mean that the valves need adjusting so you aren't getting the proper compression. If I had to guess though it's probably the first.

Hope something works...let us know how it goes because I am curious as to how these run. Quads are expensive...so buying the kids one of these instead of another blaster would be a lot cheaper until they are good (or big) enough to ride the "big boy quads". Good luck

Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: junkorama
...Got it from said it has a timing problem he changed the cdi and it didn't make a difference......
</end quote></div>

I don't have a 250cc quad so I can't speak specifically for your engine.

I don't think the problem is ignition timing because it isn't really adjustable. The timing is set by the relative relationship between a trigger pickup winding on the outside of the flywheel and the flywheel itself. The flywheel position is set by a woodruff key on the crankshaft, and the trigger winding is set by a fixed bolt pattern. Ignition timing does change as engine speed increases, but this is done by the CDI based on the rise in peak voltage from the stator as the engine rev's. None of this matters at "pull start" speeds where the timing is as retarded as it is going to get. Your quad idles, so it can't be far off anyway.

I would be looking at carburetor problems or intake manifold leaks. It sounds like this quad has sat around for a while (it's a 2006, looks like it hasn't been ridden at all, battery sulphated up) which is the classic setup for a gummed up carburetor too.

Intake manifold leaks can be found with a can of carburetor cleaner sprayed around the intake manifold area at idle. Any change in engine speed or sound indicates a leak.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: junkorama
Any Suggestions or Maybe where I Can Find A blowup of this machine or manual Would be GREAT Thanks in advance for any info</end quote></div>

Again I don't know about your engine. Maybe others more knowlegable than me can chime in. In the mean time check out the following link to find more links to a bunch of service manuals, including some 250cc engines. Maybe they are the same.

Lots of Engine Manuals

Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry about my typing...I didn't realize my wireless keyboard was on the fritz...you get the idea though

Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm sure the pull start is wrapped ok because I took it apart because it kicked back and broke the pull cord the thing pulled back so hard my hand is swollen and hurts sometimes it pulls over fine and other times it locks at half a pull and the handles rips out of your hand is there any way to check the valve timing ?Thanks again

Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default pull starting

these quads do not have a compression release, which on occasion when they get a good intake of air will cause a hard pull.

in an example i have a honda 200E that has a compression release, it has electric start and pull start.
when the battery broke while riding i had to pull start it and forgot about the compression release lever(opens the exhaust valve for easier pulling). and started to pull start the machine and it dead stopped in mid pull and tore the pull handle right out of my hand. leaving me with some missing skin.

I would say that this is normal for the machine as I have one but it is only electric start.
my suggestion is to pull it slowly making sure it is between strokes,I am pretty sure that if a 200cc (8.5:1 compression)can be hard to pull with out compression release that a 250(9.1:1 compression) would be a little more difficult.

to answer your question about running i would have to agree with the gentleman above saying the carb needs some cleaning, as it will idle but will not throttle. may need to be re-jetted as it is a common problem with leaving gas in a carburetor and it tarnishing/plugging up fuel ports in the carb.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd start with a good carb cleaning.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
I'd start with a good carb cleaning.
Me too.