Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

NEED INPUT ON ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED INPUT ON ATVs

New to the forum and hope some folks can help.
I would like to take a chance in purchasing two quads for my son and my wife and I.
I have been told to stay away from any made in china, for they are junk. I can not see, spending thousands of dollars for casual riding, and when I was a child, I remember people saying bikes made in japan were junk.
Is their one brand more reliable? TaoTao, JetMoto, Icebear, Kazuma, Roketa, Hensim, etc...
Also, could you please recommend good dealers

Now I am knowledgeable, in repairing motors, and bikes, for I grew up tearing down cycles and building them up. So getting parts would be an important issue when considering the brand to buy.

Plus what type of success have you had owning a Chinese made atv?

Thanks

Stuart

Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

hey gullwing

can only give you feedback on owning a 250 geo quad, 2x4.
Purchased in July of 08 for about $2000 Can.
The electrical is very cheaply wired.
Carb, choke needed adjustment when new to start.
Needed to seal front & rear lights where the wires go in.
After a few rides the battery cable was cut through from sharp plastic edges, repaired and filed the edges smooth.
Disconnected the reverse switch, after some use putting in reverse would kill the engine.

My last 3 rides in Oct of 08, Quad started making a clunking noise and finally would not run.
After removing the engine, the flywheel key-way had spun, throwing out the timing.
Dealer sent a new engine as was covered by warranty.
After installing, first ride, clunking noise returned.
Dismantled the rear-end. An adjustment on the Forward-Reverse alignment pin was necessary.

Quad now runs excellent. for a 250 is goes like mad, but still gets good fuel mileage.
The frame & suspension are heavy duty. Rides stiff when new.
Would be nice if the rear-end was posi.
Dealer has been great, especially when I needed parts.

Quad is easy to work on and to get parts for.
Great for trail riding.

the Canadian guy

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your information. I actually found there website last night, and was interested, but I read that they do not ship to US. I might consider there little 110 Hummer for my son, for they will ship that through UPS to me.
My son is 5, and the height specs seem to be in line with some Japanese 50cc, plus give him some growth. Or I might have them ship it to my cousins house in St. Catharines, if I decide to get one, and will visit them to pick up the quads.

Thanks Again

Old 03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the world of Chinese atvs, you definitely get what you pay for. If you can wrench and have a good local dealer/parts supply, then a Chinese or other offbrand may be for you. Of those E-ton, Kymco, and Kazuma are among the tops. JetMotos seem to be decent also. Otherwise I recommend sticking with the bigger brands(and even of these many of the youth models are manufactured "to specs" by Taiwanese/Chinese companies.) I would look at a used Honda 250EX/Suzuki Z250 for the adults, and maybe a Honda 90/Suzuki LT80 if your son FITS the machine. Be careful going outside the CPSC age guidelines, as some riding areas mandate you are following those to be allowed access. Plus if he ever got seriously hurt there is a chance you could have charges filed against you. Also, you may want to investigate a dirtbike for your son instead. A lot less stupid rules, and you should be able to get into a quality trailbike of appropriate size for the same ballpark as a Chinese quad. Good luck and see you on the trails.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

i would only recomend a chinese quad to someone who isnt gonna ride it rough. a 250ex or z250 would be a great quad for your wife, and as far as your son, that 110 should be alright. i still recomend you buy a big brand because of all the complaints i hear from generics, but for a kid it wont be such a bad buy...

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwing
I would like to take a chance in purchasing two quads for my son and my wife and I. I have been told to stay away from any made in china, for they are junk....
</end quote></div>

There is no doubt that the frame, suspension, steering is not in the same league as the name brand Japanese models. There is also no doubt that the electrical wiring is a big source of problems. That said, I bought a chinese quad and really enjoy mine. When I bought it I knew nothing about quads, small engines, small engine ignition systems. I had some initial problems with mine, and with the help of forums like this was able to solve all of them. Part of the reason I try to contribute to this and other forums is because I'm so grateful to those who helped me out when I was new to this.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingI can not see, spending thousands of dollars for casual riding, and when I was a child, I remember people saying bikes made in japan were junk...</end quote></div>
For me the choice was Chinese quads or nothing. I can't afford name brand quads, even used ones. I don't know about New Jersey, but in California there aren't any used name brand quads for sale with a clear title and the "green sticker" (necessary for registration and year round riding) any where near the new Chinese quad price. I don't regret my purchase.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingIs their one brand more reliable? TaoTao, JetMoto, Icebear, Kazuma, Roketa, Hensim, etc...</end quote></div>
I have a 150cc hensim. I've lost count of how many hours I spent on this. Still works solid. No engine problems. But... These quads want to disassemble themselves while in motion. Nuts, bolts just fall off. You really need to keep on top of this. Your 5 year old isn't going to be able to tell you that "the steering isn't quite right today". Thus, things progress getting worse until catastrophic failure occurs. You will have to be responsible for inspecting and maintaining the quad. I inspect mine before every ride, and sometimes I've had to do repairs before riding.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingAlso, could you please recommend good dealers...</end quote></div>
Make sure that any ATV you buy can be registered and driven where you live. In California it has to meet EPA and CARB regulations which eliminates 90% of internet vendors. I don't know New Jersey laws.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingNow I am knowledgeable, in repairing motors, and bikes, for I grew up tearing down cycles and building them up. So getting parts would be an important issue when considering the brand to buy.</end quote></div>

So your good at mechanical. Great. I hope your good at electrical problems too. Chinese connectors are awful. There is help at this and other forums though.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

Japanese ATVs are the GOOD ATVs. Like Honda, Yamaha etc.

Chinese ATVs are absolute pieces of junk..

Avoid them, you will get one, you might get a few days out of it, then you'll start getting problems.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LynnEdwards

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwing

I would like to take a chance in purchasing two quads for my son and my wife and I. I have been told to stay away from any made in china, for they are junk....

</end quote></div>

There is no doubt that the frame, suspension, steering is not in the same league as the name brand Japanese models. There is also no doubt that the electrical wiring is a big source of problems. That said, I bought a chinese quad and really enjoy mine. When I bought it I knew nothing about quads, small engines, small engine ignition systems. I had some initial problems with mine, and with the help of forums like this was able to solve all of them. Part of the reason I try to contribute to this and other forums is because I'm so grateful to those who helped me out when I was new to this.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingI can not see, spending thousands of dollars for casual riding, and when I was a child, I remember people saying bikes made in japan were junk...</end quote></div>

For me the choice was Chinese quads or nothing. I can't afford name brand quads, even used ones. I don't know about New Jersey, but in California there aren't any used name brand quads for sale with a clear title and the "green sticker" (necessary for registration and year round riding) any where near the new Chinese quad price. I don't regret my purchase.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingIs their one brand more reliable? TaoTao, JetMoto, Icebear, Kazuma, Roketa, Hensim, etc...</end quote></div>

I have a 150cc hensim. I've lost count of how many hours I spent on this. Still works solid. No engine problems. But... These quads want to disassemble themselves while in motion. Nuts, bolts just fall off. You really need to keep on top of this. Your 5 year old isn't going to be able to tell you that "the steering isn't quite right today". Thus, things progress getting worse until catastrophic failure occurs. You will have to be responsible for inspecting and maintaining the quad. I inspect mine before every ride, and sometimes I've had to do repairs before riding.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingAlso, could you please recommend good dealers...</end quote></div>

Make sure that any ATV you buy can be registered and driven where you live. In California it has to meet EPA and CARB regulations which eliminates 90% of internet vendors. I don't know New Jersey laws.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gullwingNow I am knowledgeable, in repairing motors, and bikes, for I grew up tearing down cycles and building them up. So getting parts would be an important issue when considering the brand to buy.</end quote></div>

So your good at mechanical. Great. I hope your good at electrical problems too. Chinese connectors are awful. There is help at this and other forums though.</end quote></div>

You can buy used ATVs in NJ with no such issues. And even if you couldn't NJ is so close to PA and NY and you can certainly find boat loads of used ATVs there.

I see hundreds of used nice Japanese ATVs for sale. I've seen people pay $2500 for a Chinese Tractor Supply ATV and regret it every day until the point where it becomes a lawn ornament. Yet I paid $2000 for my Honda Rancher two years ago and have been beating the crap out of it since with zero problems. And the guy I bought it from used it as a sport machine and beat the crap out of it for 5 years.

I've yet to see anyone win the long term argument for a Chinese ATV. With the exception of small kids ATVs, which are basically disposable anyway, I would never consider a new Chinese ATV over a used Japanese or domestic (or Canadian) ATV.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"I would like to take a chance in purchasing two quads for my son and my wife and I."
UMMMM, don't you mean 3 machines???

I feel that there are plenty of good used machines out there that could be had for not much more $ then the Chinese junk.
IMO you will only be upseting your wife and child when they have a problem with their machine while out riding.
Look for a Kymco 50 for your son, and a Kymco Mongoose for the you/wife. They are rock solid machines.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: km08

Japanese ATVs are the GOOD ATVs. Like Honda, Yamaha etc.

Chinese ATVs are absolute pieces of junk..

Avoid them, you will get one, you might get a few days out of it, then you'll start getting problems.</end quote></div>
..... hondas THE ****

Quick Reply: NEED INPUT ON ATVs