Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suzuki LT Z 50 dies when throttle applied

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT Z 50 dies when throttle applied

New to me is a 2006 Suzuki 50 4-stroke.....bike cranks and idles great but bogs or dies after half throttle. I have already cleaned the carb, stripped and soaked etc...I can see through all the jets. The only part that looked like it needed help was the jet needle so it was scrubbed with a ScotchBrite. Air filter and spark arrestor were also cleaned. I tried running without them too.

Plenty of gas is getting to the carb, but I really feel like this is a fuel problem. What would cause a bike to idle well but bog and die as the throttle is mashed?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Idles fine, press gas and it kills the motor.

I have the same problem with an artic 50 2 stroke, I have not taken the steps you have yet but am curious what suggestions people have before I dig into it to far.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyle
New to me is a 2006 Suzuki 50 4-stroke.....bike cranks and idles great but bogs or dies after half throttle. I have already cleaned the carb, stripped and soaked etc...I can see through all the jets. The only part that looked like it needed help was the jet needle so it was scrubbed with a ScotchBrite. Air filter and spark arrestor were also cleaned. I tried running without them too.

Plenty of gas is getting to the carb, but I really feel like this is a fuel problem. What would cause a bike to idle well but bog and die as the throttle is mashed?
My first thought is the timing might be off. Or a bad/old spark plug?

Not many 4 strokes will take a mashed throttle without dieing...Does it die if you slowly apply throttle?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

is the gas in the tank fresh?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Since you've already cleaned the carb (my first recommendation), next I'd check the float adjustment. If it's set improperly, the engine may be starving for fuel at higher throttle settings. The needle+seat (controlled by the float) may be able to supply enough fuel to idle, but when you crank it up a misadjusted float may not be able to supply enough fuel to keep it running.

Report back!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any difference between choke on or off? When cold my sons LTZ50 will usually die if he stabs the throttle too quick. Once it warms up its fine.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Problem persists at normal running temp. It doesn't matter how fast the throttle is pressed. Gas is fresh. I'll install a new plug next. Choke on/off doesn't seem to matter. I've sprayed starter fluid into the carb at half throttle and it still flubs.

I wouldn't know how to check the timing, but it does crank easily.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I swapped carbs from a Raptor 50 and it did not help. How do I check/set engine timing? The bike calls for 14 BTC.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

To check the timing, you need to find out where the timing marks are and where they are supposed to align up.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ltz 50

Hey I to have a problem with the kids suzuki. He was ridding it and ran fine we went out on the trails and it started to die and would not throutle up just like you would have the parking brake on and the engine would cut out. I did do the easy stuff like gass and spark. I do think it's in the wiring? Note I can now start this up with out the parking brake set. Can any body help.

Quick Reply: Suzuki LT Z 50 dies when throttle applied