Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chirp sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirp sound

OK, I have a 06' KFX 80 & I'm hearing a chirping sound when i shut off the engine. it kinda sounds like metal on metal. It starts fine & i cant really here it when its running just when you shut it down. Its the very sound it makes when you shut it down. Any thoughts?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Does it have an alarm on it? I'm not familar with the model, but I do know some of the cheap chin quads come with alarms. When I think if chirp I think of those alarms you hear when someone locks their car.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

no, no alarm. it kinda sounds like the sound when a bearing goes bad. it sound like it comeing from the motor?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry no help from me, not really sure what I would do.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by moetrout
Sorry no help from me, not really sure what I would do.
TKS any way man!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try slowly moving your idle up an down to see if you can re-create the sound. My 03 KFX does the same (not sure if it is what you are describing) if the idle is at exactly the right place (kind of low in the RPM's). It hits a resonate frequency that causes something to vibrate from underneath the seat.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DSengineer
Try slowly moving your idle up an down to see if you can re-create the sound. My 03 KFX does the same (not sure if it is what you are describing) if the idle is at exactly the right place (kind of low in the RPM's). It hits a resonate frequency that causes something to vibrate from underneath the seat.
ok, will try that.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

Here is a little vid. of the chirping sound its making when i shut it off.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Range Rover

Here is another vid. As far as the chirping sound, the last time i cut it off is the best "chirp" sound.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I listened to both videos, and I think the chirp sounds more like a "ding". It reminds me of those little bells on the counter of cheap motels that you "ding" to bring out the desk clerk who's asleep in the back.

Am I right, or is something lost in the video/audio?

A long bell like "ding" that fades over a long period of time after the engine stops (compared to a millisecond anyway) indicates to me that there is a mechanical resonance involved, and that very little energy is being dissipated during the ring down. If you grab ahold of a ringing bell, the sound stops abruptly because your fingers absorb all the energy in the "ring".

A bad bearing can make noise with motion, but when the motion stops so does the noise (almost instantly), for the same reason as grabbing ahold of a ringing bell stops the noise. Any vibrations making noise will be squelched by friction when the energy source (i.e. the rotating engine) stops.

Thus I think that if the ding sound continues for some time after the engine stops, it must not be bad because if it was doing something bad that would take energy, and the energy consumed would squelch the ding instantly.

So is it a ding sound? Or am I completely off track?

Quick Reply: Chirp sound