Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

battery question for 86cc loncin

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy battery question for 86cc loncin

So i bought new battery for quad. Filled it with acid and charged it prior to use. Kids rode bike for about one hour. Quad just went off and when tried to restart nothing. Wouldnt even turn over. Do this quads charge the battery at all? Is one hour normal? Battery is everstArt premium es5lbs. What im using to charge is centech automatic battery float charger. I really dont know much of this. Is this even an actual charger or just maintains charge? Thanks for any help i can get.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All quads with electric start, when working, will keep the battery charged. Therefore your quad is broken.

A fully charged battery (roughly 5 amp-hour) that goes dead in 1 hour must be *discharging* at the rate of 5 amps or so while the quad is running. That's a lot of current. 12 volts times 5 amps is 60 watts. That's a lot of heat. Do you notice anything getting hot? Any smoke? By chance were you driving around with you headlights on? Headlights get hot and consume a lot of current - that's why I ask, but even if your headlights were on it only a piece to the puzzle and not the final answer...

It's pretty clear you charging system isn't working. Can you find you voltage regulator? How many pins on it? What are the wire colors?

Get a meter ready...

Originally Posted by fhorta
So i bought new battery for quad. Filled it with acid and charged it prior to use. Kids rode bike for about one hour. Quad just went off and when tried to restart nothing. Wouldnt even turn over. Do this quads charge the battery at all? Is one hour normal? Battery is everstArt premium es5lbs. What im using to charge is centech automatic battery float charger. I really dont know much of this. Is this even an actual charger or just maintains charge? Thanks for any help i can get.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the problem. Im so new to this. A cable that goes to.the left handle bar was unplugged. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad your quad is running. But I can't think of any reason why a cable to the left handle bar would have anything to do with this. I'm suspicious that maybe the problem isn't solved yet .

To check your battery charging system:

Start up the quad and run at a medium fast speed (3000 RPM) with the headlights off. Measure the DC voltage right on the battery terminals while the engine is at speed. You should 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC. If you do your charging system is working. If you read lower than that your battery is being undercharged, or not being charged at all if it reads under 12.8 volts. If it reads over 14.5 volts it is being overcharged which will shorten the battery life.