Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 50 atv will crank but wont start.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so if there is no reading on ohm meter when measuring the coil to ground pin on the cdi box, does that mean nfg? thx

Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Morris
so if there is no reading on ohm meter when measuring the coil to ground pin on the cdi box, does that mean nfg? thx
No. You misunderstood. You measure the pins in the "wiring harness". This is measuring the coil primary resistance, and it does this through the wiring harness. So if there are problems with the ignition coil, or the ignition coil wiring, it will show up as an error.

The internal circuitry of the CDI is complex, and no information can be gleaned by probing an unplugged CDI directly with a meter.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, ill try again 2morro,to test ohms threw coil pin in harness to body or engine ground.if i remember corectly 1 of tests asks to test ac voltage and to watch for volt spikes while cranking,,, i didnt see any spikes.but i will update u on this thread about the tests i do, and hopefully we can figure out y i have no spark,,it is the 5 pin cdi,back of cdi box says 110cc? 2009.theres anothe plug in it has 4 blade type conections.,fuse is fine,dont belive there is a tether,, i did all ur other trouble shooting tips for no spark ,and numbers were close on meter readings. thx.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so i went out to do some more testing and had a no crank ,hmm last thing i did last night before i left was plugged a set of wire harness connecters together in the back end, near tail pipe.there are 4 sets at the back,2 male 2 female there is a 2 prong male green/red stripe,with yellow/red stripe. other male is a 2 prong black and blk /white strip. female conecters are yellow/red strip and solid green. second female is blk and red .the fuse is popped have to get another tomorro to finish tests,but which conecter goes with each? thx hope u can help. ill finish meter tests tomorro.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Troy Morris
ok so i went out to do some more testing and had a no crank ,hmm last thing i did last night before i left was plugged a set of wire harness connecters together in the back end, near tail pipe.there are 4 sets at the back,2 male 2 female there is a 2 prong male green/red stripe,with yellow/red stripe. other male is a 2 prong black and blk /white strip. female conecters are yellow/red strip and solid green. second female is blk and red .the fuse is popped have to get another tomorro to finish tests,but which conecter goes with each? thx hope u can help. ill finish meter tests tomorro.
"No cranking" is quite different from "no spark", which is what I assumed when you were asking about whether the CDI was bad or not. Let's back up a bit...

What kind of quad is this? What engine size? 2 stroke or 4?

What is the history of this quad? Did you just buy this in a non-running condition? Have you ever seen this quad run? Or was it working fine, and then one day it died?

I'm just trying to establish a starting point...

Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok,sorry for confusion,yes it ran 4 days ago just fine,then would bog out,low power,and stall.i would restart,run for 3-5 seconds then stall. ,took bowl off carb cleaned it ot,(found dirt) thought that was the problem,put all back together and then had no spark,but would crank,,then went out the next day ,and now i have no crank,lol.found the fuse blown in the fuse holder in the rear. i have new fuse now but didnt want to put it in there until i got the 4 wire conecter question i asked last post awnsered.hope this clears things up. thx again.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Electrical Expert

So where do these connectors at the back of the quad go? Usually there is a connector coming out of the wiring harness, with a mating connector going through some short wires to a device - like a brake/tail light, or a tether kill switch, etc.

Another thing to try is to put it back like it was before - which I assume means the rear wires unplugged - and see if you have the starter cranking and if you have spark.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

so in garage now,put a new fuse in, plugged 1 set of connecters together, the green/red and yellow. voila back to cranking but no spark, so i will run threw tests on this site,post results and go from there. thx.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

so here are the test results....#1 362ohms #2 164 ohm #3 40-50ac #4 .1-.4ac even saw a 1.3 here. test A no reading on meter, open, test B fluxuating between 20-35 ac volts as i cranked. back to test A i did test all the wires coming out of coil for ground and they were good.also tested wire harness ground wire for ground and good. just between the 2 pins there is a OPEN. bad coil? i dont see any tether wire on this quad ,mind u it ran before so i dont believe it is a issue.. thx i wait for your opinion, oh and i think it is a 49 or 50cc quad, thou on the back of the cdi box it says 110cc?,there r no stickers on this quad, it is small,probly fit a 8-12 year old well.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

went back and checked ground from coil pin and ground pin on cdi wire harness, found break in wire,have .2-0 ohms resistance now, but still no spark..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Baja 50 atv will crank but wont start.