Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New (used) Coolster ATV quit running

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (used) Coolster ATV quit running

I purchased a coolster 150 for my wife a couple months ago from a guy on craigslist. The thing ran really well. Always started right up and ran great. I took it out for a ride one day and was cruising down a gravel road at about 20 mph when all of a sudden it lost power. It slowly lost power right to a stop. Almost like it was out of gas. Once it stopped the battery was dead for some reason. I don't know if that's a separate battery issue or not. It is pretty old.

These (I got another polaris off the same guy) are my first ATV's so I'm still very much getting use to how they operate. So far I have made sure the gas is on. I do get gas flowing out of the line after the plastic "bubble" (fuel filter?) before it goes into the carb. Kill switch is on and the key is on. I hooked it up to my truck battery and it acts like it wants to start. Turns over just fine but just won't start. Almost like it's not getting gas or something. I pulled the plug and cleaned it. I verified the plug is getting spark by holding it close to the frame. I put my finger over the plug hole and it does appear to have compression.

Now I don't know if this would of worked or not but someone down the street told me to pour a little gas in the hole and put the spark plug in and try to fire it. I tried it and nothing happened. After that I could smell gas from the exhaust but not before doing it. I don't think it's an electric problem because I'm getting spark. I'm out of ideas at this point and really need a few pointers.

Thanks for any help.

I think it's this model. I'm not sure of the year though.