Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Belt wear limit on AC 90 ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt wear limit on AC 90 ATV?

I am working on a well used 2003 Arctic Cat 90 2 stroke kids ATV, it was rolled in the ditch last year by careless kids, so I'm dealing with plastic damage on top of plain old wear, tear and abuse. Seems to start and run ok, needs some brake work, but its a bit sluggish on take off and lazy on top, so I removed the belt cover and checked out the front and rear sheaves, havent gotten them off yet, but removed the belt. after a good wash in hot soapy water, the belt seems ok, but I can see frayed threads on the sides, and wonder what is the working belt width for this quad? I have done forum and web searches,but havent found a definite answer for this. while its apart, I want to know the belt is good or bad before I start reassembly.
thanks for any tips or help !!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd bet it's fine.... ... . Altho, it's not like you gave us a width measurement. I have a belt in the garage that I prolly could compare to.
Google::: beltmeasurementsfordummies
Your symptoms could warrant a compression check.

BTW, you may notice a part or 2 missing.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way, Jack...........I was ready for you and tied the dog to the rear grab bar, plus the loaided S&W 40 I keep by my bed.....lol.
I can grab some calipers tomorrow and get some measurements, and will get a compression check too. but this guy is looking to get it fixed up and running decent to sell, so I don't expect he will want to start putting engine parts into it. Mainly it needs a good cleaning, lots of 2 stroke oil leaks and drips from a loose exhast clamp have left a dirty layer of crud all over the motor and transmission. That, and there is a fuse coming off the battery that was bare......just 2 metal clips holding a glass fuse right off the battery, a fire waiting to happen, got a waterproof blade type fuse holder to replace that. Weather is super crappy for May, still got lots of ice on the lakes, so looks like fishing opener will not be pleasant, might just spend a few days getting this thing cleaned up and running right.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your dog likes hamburg. Kept him busy for a minute.
I hate it when ppl get into the wireing.
Seeins it's for sale, i'd really bet the belt is fine..LOL