Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

E-ton rascal 40cc 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E-ton rascal 40cc 2 stroke

Any owners out there ??
Im having fits on one I picked up last yr . Was told it wouldn't start after it was hot..and his son out grew it ..sitting for 2yrs in the barn. I figured rings from going through its life of a youngster over time and I know 2 strokes are pretty simple ..so I brought it home .

Fast-forward..now
It has a new motor now , coil (green),recoil, pipe washed out ,fuel system cleaned and all cleaned up w/ flag and all ..it was pretty neglected.

Issues im having is it wont run after its warm , when it does run it seams the clutch is binding up at times clanking /clicking as it engages and disengage at idle .... wheels turn at idle and lowering idle does nothing but stall it . Would this clutch be toast... springs and shoes from wear and heat?
Other then that it leans to be electrical..trigger module ???..it does have a burn on one wire but wire not broken..taped it up .

When it runs it will scream as you get up in the r's ..heck i was having fun

I have to trailer this out about a 1/2 mi so he can ride ... I just want it to run for him after we get out there and after a break or 2 ..any help out there?

rick

Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Usually a bad CDI when they heat up and die.
You'll have to get into the clutchs and see what's going on.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

This unit has no cdi box, they use a trigger module on the flywheel to send a signal to the coil to fire . I guess i keep buying parts till it clears up , there is only 3 more things to replace .
the list consist of ...wiring harness & trigger mod and clutch are the only things left original... and carb but i dont think its a carb issue.

I see alot of these units for sale and all have the same issues ..hard starting after its warm but there has not been a constant fix to chase the issue down... even alot of the other brand little quads seam to have this issue too.

?.. can i start it without the clutch on it to see if its a binding issue ? ...was thinking after it acts up to pull the clutch to see if it would start

Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought one that had a few problems also. I picked up another engine for it for like $90. I found that with the newer engines (which i could get no help from anyone about) that the clutch pad part that bolts to the engine does not stick out far enough to fully sit inside the clutch bell on the "transmission". To fix it I just shimmed the clutch out using a few washers till it stuck out far enough. Problem fixed. I think it took like 4 washers on each stud. On to your other problem with it not wanting to run once its warm. This may be a long shot but mine was doing this too and it turned out the idle screw was backing out as my kid was riding it. I put a little blue loctite on it and problem fixed. Also I put a new coil on mine that gets rid of that flywheel tang. That was a rev governor of some sort.