Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Project

Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Project

I recently bought a 1995 LT80 which is a bit tired and beat up and I was going to strip it down and tidy it up and hopefully spice the engine up a touch and give it to my son (8).However plans have changed and now I am going to buy him a newer LT80 and use this beat up one myself to follow them about on there quads ( other two have LT50s). I have been reading up on the forums and so far I have purchased
power up intake kit
petcock
plug
oil pump removal kit
sprockets and chain
new belt
Im pretty confident I could modify the clutches easy enough,but is there any point if the head/barrel isnt ported and polished ?
Nobody over in Uk can do the head/barrel work so any tuners over here I could post the parts of to be worked on ?
Also any other parts I should upgrade while I have it apart ?
I read a Trinity pipe works well so where is the best place to but one from ?
Thanks for any replys.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

bump

Old 11-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody do the engine work for me or recommend anybody ? thanks for any replys.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I got back from Offshore yesterday and today I managed to get some time to start to strip it down. The bike is covered in mud and dust and looks to have been stood a long time. My mate did a compression test for me and it was iirc around 30psi ? The breather system was full of dust and cobwebs,the petcock was seized and no petrol would flow to the carb. The carb was also bone dry,full of dust and the bowl gasket is missing. There was no scoring of the cylinder or any untoward marks on the piston,however most of the rubber pipe work was perished and cracked/split. I will try and get the rest of it stripped down tomorrow,but I've got a feeling I'm not going to like what I find.I will need to find out what size piston is fitted so I can order the next size up.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to get in touch with LT80 regards tuning my engine before I start buying parts to do it myself. I've been trying to contact him but not sure if my pms are getting to him. Thanks for any replys

Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If the bore is not scored why are you re-boring it?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I managed to strip it down a bit more and the big end bearing is shot also. I've now got the engine on the bench so I will try and find time to strip it later. Not a Mechanic Merryman but would you just have fitted new rings ? I thought if you fitted new rings you would need the bore honed anyway ? Tbh if LT80 ( Mr Moore ) can work his stuff on it for me I will just send it to him.Thanks for your reply

Last edited by Katluke; 11-29-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Jack (LT80) Moore done a motor for my son last year matter of fact we received it on christmas eve!!So needless to say my 5yr old didn't care about what santa brought,...he just wanted to ride!I've tried getting in touch with Jack too with no success?He is the man to get in touch with though he does awesome work and when we got it back everything we needed to put it back together was sent so there wasn't no running here and there getting this and that.To me that says a lot when you got a 5yr old breathing down your neck!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been in contact with Mr Moore and decided to go for his stage two motor, I've just posted parts off to him this morning I will now continue to strip the rest of the Lt80 down and get it ready for powder coating. I will post some pics up shortly.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Katluke can i ask what the stage 2 motor work consists of, I'm very interested in getting work done but there no1 here (uk) that i know of that i can trust or even does it for that matter, I've built motors before and always love working on 2 stroke rebuilds but when it comes to porting/polishing and bores etc i have to get people with the know to do it, i would love to know what stage 2 work involves i will try ask lt80 himself thanks and good luck with your build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT80 Project