Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton txl 50cc need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eton txl 50cc need help please

first and formost I have never worked on a 2 stroke before everything i know I learned through research on the web so I will try to be a through as I can

I Bought a eton txl 50cc (5EA) vin it had been sitting for about 4 years acording to the previous owner. the quad did not have the stock airbox on it and compression was aroung the 75psi range. I replaced the jug/piston/rings/gaskets/sparkplug/coil and CDI. I also installed a UNI fliter as I could not find a stock airbox after I rebuilt the carb (when I say rebuiilt the carb i mean used a rebuild jet and cleaned the crab out if it lol). I removed the oil injection as the oil pump did look to be trust worthy. I plugged the oil injection port on the carb. I also cleaned the gas tank out, replaced all the fuel lines and changed the fluids as well as changed the cvt belt.

to break in the new gear I used a oil heavy gas mix ( 5oz oil:1gallon gas)
got the motor to idel ok and broke it in at just slightly over idel for about 30 min. During the break in i noticed oil sputtering from the exhaust and it woudl occationaly cut out but would fire right back up again, figured this was just due to the pre mix being oil heavy.

The issue is although the motor idles if you give it any throttle the quad wont move and the engine sounds as if its flooding/bogging out. I pulled the plug and it is not wet or black so I really dont know if its running rich or lean.
I checked the reeds and intake flange and they look good. I put the rear tires on a jack and the motor will speed up but it still sounds like its flooding/bogging out. The jet is a #85 and the pilot is a 20 the needle is on the middle clip. air mix is about 1 turn out.

I have no idea why it wont run properly any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my whits end

Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Good job on the work that you did!
See if the pipe is plugged. It happens.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Welcome to the forums.
Good job on the work that you did!
See if the pipe is plugged. It happens.

Thanks for the welcome and the tip.
following your suggestion I looked at the pipe but the silencer is a sealed type with no way to get inside it without cutting it open it also does not have a spark arestor. I do have the tools/equipment to do that but is there another way of clearing the pipe?
I saw somethign about buring it out with a torch but that seems a little on the dangerous side.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Usually you can use your hand and feel the flow comming out of the pipe. If it's minimal you should notice it.
Dangerous??? Are you Big C702 or Lil C702??? LOL j/k
I don't know if that works on your pipe. It works well on LT80's but I know the internal costruction of them.
The eton I worked on was a 90 and had a screw to take out of the silenser and another piece (prolly the arrester). I heated and blew it all out. Worked for that one.
Like I implied, I don't know whats inside your pipe.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im BigC for for sure lol

Yeah thsi is the pre spark arrestor sileincer so its totaly sealed execpt for a little 1/2" I/D "spout" coming out of the back. Almost looks exactly like this one here

there is some exhaust comingh out but not sure its whats coming out is suffecent to let the motor breath. Would running the motor with out the exhaust hooked up hurt it? Just for a min or so to see it there was a noticable differance?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

You can do that.
Ater looking at the pipe, I bet your going to be dangerous. All that oil you see leaking has built up in it IMO.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so after looking at the silncer i decided to take it off and cut the end off of it. while it was pretty nasty in there I couldnt find any blockages so I removed the oil soaked material, cleaned it up real good and welded it back togther. still doing the same thing. I dont want to scrap this little quad esp after the money I have in it but I have no idea what else to do.

Any advice on other possible things I may have missed would be most welcome.