Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 just cranks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 just cranks

Hi guys my sons 2003 lt80 wont run just cranks.Been reading up on old treads but need to know what size compression tester adapter to use.(I don't have one ,so gotta make sure the one I buy has it)
1 I changed the plug(carbon dirty but dry)
2 I think the starter is drawing a lot juice ..(turns slow the speeds up) like like too much timing in a hotrod? then gotta recharge battery after 10 tries
any info would be great so I can put him riding again.

Billy

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

do you have spark? keep the plug out of the head, plug it into the wire, keep it near the engine "ground" and hit the starter, make sure its a real bright spark.

from the sound of the starter turning slow issue, sounds like its flooded, but wouldnt explain the dry plug situation. either way if you have a good spark, put it all together and crank it with the throttle wide open.

im wondering if a plugged pipe would cause enough restriction to slow the starter down, hopefully jack "lt80" will check this thread out

Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

little history on this machine. Got it back in Dec 1st started right up when I bought..lol then started having issuses to getting to run ,but always got it to go. I don't know if the carb issue too tookit over my friends house after unloading it started right up.if I start it everyday she fine.My son hasn't been on it in over a week and this is where i'm

I didn't check for spark yet. will in morning.i see fuel going into carb.once you get it running she runs mint... can I spray WD40 into spark plug hole to see if she catchs?
thanks

Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long since last start up my cold starts have been a pain. Like Damonsquad said verify spark. If u have good spark. Spray a little carb cleaner in plug hole and get plug back in quickly and try starting. To make plug removal easier I cutout an arch section out of plastic that butts up to the gas tank under the seat so u get a direct shot to the plug. Don't know ur location but if u don't want to buy a compression tester auto stores like advance or auto zone do a loan a tool with refundable deposit. Might see if they do compr tester if not I bought mine from advance it comes with three most common thread patterns so you'll be covered. If bike has sat a long time might wont to consider cleaning the carb.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

Previous post aminute too late sounds like u are flooding cylinder as it sits may want to invest in a 1/4 in line fuel shut off these bikes are bad about fuel going by float needle into carb then filling cylinder due to the petcock leaking by if that's the problem u will notice that when u check for spark in the morning it will spray out of the plug hole like a geyser,so don't be directly over hole unless u like the taste of gas

Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

All that and you haven't cleaned the carb?
Like mentioned, a inline filter and stop valve is a good idea.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks guys been doing a honey do list
checked spark ..good blue
LT80 how hard to clean carb? what Im looking for junk in jets? clean with carb cleaner n blow air thru it ?never took this apart i'll see if I can find a video on utube

Old 02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

Take the bowl off the bottom, press firmly to the screws they can strip easy. There should be a rubber boot covering the main jet,brass,in the hole directly beside is pilot will have to use smallest flat tip or pocket screwdriver to remove. Need to remove dowel pin holding float valve to clean where fuel enters carb,there's also a jet on the intake side of carb where air enters carb. There's three holes I believe it's in the right hole u will need a pocket screwdriver for that one once again press firmly on initial loosening,don't over tighten putting it back in. With all those out, spray carb cleaner and air if available thru every hole in the carb,need to pull choke up to clean that passage,make sure to clean bowl if there is crusty stuff around the hole in the bottom,then reassemble. After u get it reinstalled be sure and add an inline filter and shut off as fore mentioned could save u from a repeat cleaning if trash was to come from gas tank into carb.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks... it on my list of things to do on sunday. there is a clear fuel filter inline .But off the petcock there a vaccume line that runs to carb that's hanging out ,but on carb its plug up(hose with bolt) my fuel line see thru so I see fuel in it.. when I bought it the guys said he buys everything off ebay. I found a video on utube on cleaning a lt80 carb..not sure if I can post a link here..(any rules on that)? I will let you guys know how I make out.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If I may add::
"There should be a rubber boot covering the main jet,"
Don't put that back in.

"There's three holes I believe it's in the right hole u will need a pocket screwdriver for that one once"
If you get that out, you've achieved the 8th wonder of the world. Never heard of anyone getting it out.

"need to pull choke up to clean that passage"
I'd remove the choke plunger (it unscrews).

You may try to hand choke it w/2 finger in front of the carb. Sometimes they need that.
We'll see how you make out.

Quick Reply: lt80 just cranks