Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What size machine for my child?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What size machine for my child?

What is the correct size of machine for my child?
A popular question and surprisingly, much argued.
Most think that appropriate sizing is very important for safety reasons.
It seems that some have no safety concern.
Law enforcement has their opinions too and they will gladly impose their opinions in the form of a ticket or arrest.
The ATV Safety Institute has come up with common sence guidelines for proper sizing of a machine to rider. Read here::
http://www.atvsafety.org/downloads/pya.pdf

A great reply from a old forum friend: Thanks to dragginbutt::
Ok, every time I read a thread like this, I cringe. Let me bring you into the real world for a second. First off, do some research and read the accident reports on children deaths. Second, there is a reason why they don't recommend a child under a certain age even sit on one of these.. Third, unless you have the future wonder woman, take a look at what you are trying to put her on. Can she reach the brakes? More important, I seriously doubt she could operate them. Even throttled down they can roll. Now consider the fact that in a crash, an ATV will do much more damage than a bike, or dirt bike for that matter... Why, well weight is a factor, and the fact that a dirt bike and a human body usually take seperate paths when crashing. Not so with an ATV. It will be right there with them breaking bones... Now the real biggie... Brain power. A child under the age of 6 has an attention span of about 15 seconds. It isn't about being able to get big air, or can work the gas and steer. >>>It is about reacting in an emergency situation<<<<. Like that tree that jumped in front of them, or the rock, or someone coming the other way on a trail.

I believe if you think about it for even a half second, you will realize that you are bordering on child endangerment. So NO, I DON"T THINK A 3 YEAR OLD SHOULD BE ON A REAL ATV.

You say you love your child. Then act like it and find other ways to spend time with them. Let them grow up at their own rate. Don't push them to be something YOU want. Let them develope into whatever they want to be. That is the secret to being a parent. Don't try and relive all your failures through your child. Nurture them, let them discover on their own, but you can't create a clone of yourself. Each is an individual.
The complete thread::
http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...ds-quad-2.html

The thread also has great pics of children that actually fit their machine. Please look.

EXACTLY what not to do::

Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, daddy needs to get his head examined. At first I thought, "Oh, it's a kid's quad with a shutoff tether." But, no, it's a redneck safety device. A dog leash to try to stop a quad. Not going to happen. Even if it was a kid's quad and the kid was grown up enough to use (couldn't even touch the footpegs) he had no helmet and no gloves. I cringed when he went under the tree branch. It doesn't take much to crush a skull. The kid would be better off in a few years and with someone who believes in safety.