Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Viper RXL 70 ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper RXL 70 ignition issues

Hey all,

My neighbor has the above E-ton quad with major wiring problems. It has had the wiring harness replaced and very little of the wiring color codes match any diagram I've found - and I've found a few. I believe it to be a 2003 model, or thereabouts. When he brought it over, nothing worked. He had it at some janky shop who put in the harness and finally gave up trying to get it to run.

Current state: I got the starter to turn by use of an after market pushbutton on the bars with the ignition key turned on. None of the wires going into the Handlebar switch ever had power, hence the after market button. My neighbor tested the CDI box on another Viper 70 and it ran fine.

So here is my problem. I was led to believe all i needed to do was get the starter to spin and it would run but that has proven not to be the case. It will fire right up for a split second and then just crank. If you attach a spark plug to the wire, you see a great healthy spark for about 2 seconds, then no spark whatsoever - consistently. I'm wondering if one of the built in safety over features is telling it that things are not safe so it kills the ignition circuit. Is that possible?

someone cut the wires off the front brake which I understand must be pulled to start. if i twist those wires together, the brake lights come on, but i get zero spark time.

The safety tether contraption is disconnected also, so i'm thinking i need to tell the CDI that the tether is in place and/or the front brake lever is pulled - heaven only knows what other safety items that could be causing issues..

Color coding is so off that you can't assume anything. If you read my bio, I'm comfortable with old Harleys - not modern CDI, safety laden devices so I'm looking for any insight you can offer. Sorry this is so long winded.