Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton sierra dxl 90 Carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eton sierra dxl 90 Carb questions

A friend of mine picked up this eton 4 wheeler, and can't keep it running. I've rebuilt a few jetski carbs in the past, and told him I help out. We've been unable to get it strated without adding a tiny bit of premixed fuel into the spark plug hole.

Here's what I've got so far:
-Previous owner ran premix, and plugged the hole in the carb where the oil line was with a screw and some silicone. It was obvious to me it was leaking air into that, as the silicone had cracked. I cleaned that up and I put some oil line hose, from my jetski, on that nipple and plugged it up air tight. DONE.

- My friend said it was leaking fuel out of the botom of the carb. I've seen pictures of that carb online, which has a fuel line coming off the bottom of the bowl on the carb. His doesn't have any hose, and he said he had to tighten a screw on there to stop if from leaking fuel. Is that a vent tube, or what is that nipple on the bottom of the bowl for on the carb? I've taken the carb apart and cleaned everything up, just not sure abou that nipple on the very bottom of the bowl.

I've found the settings on the web for the carb, which say to back out the air/fule mixture screw 1 or 1 & 1/2 turns out from closed. I did the same for for the idle, which I found out last night is a little higher than I needed. SO it sat for a few days, and for the heck of it I tried to start it up again. It fired up, SMOKED like a chimeny and actually ideled for a few minutes. I gave it just a little gas, and got around the driveway before it died and won't start again. What I notice now is that the clear fuel line I have on there, has an air bubble wheren it comes off the selector switch. When I'm cranking, it's not pulling fuel through there.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

Check your reed valves that pull fuel and create the vacuum. The one I just bought like it had daylight visible and we're dirty. The previous owner used RTV sealant as gasket maker and sealed the entire box together. Make sure the fuel filter is also good. Also compression can be a issue. I would check the reeds and re clean the carb just to make sure no dirt has slipped by.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My thought is compression.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got it to run

So I got it to run by adding a tiny bit of fuel to the spark plug hole. I'm not thinking compression, since it hauled my 220LB gut up a steep driveway. Wasn't happy, but it did that, and ran around the yard just fine.

Problem is it won't start again now. I had the idle set a little to high, and had put the front brake lock on and left it running for about a minute or 2, then it started having some trouble and died. Hasn't started since.

I notice that air bubble in the fuel line again, right where it comes out of the selector switch.

Can anyone tell me what that nipple on the bottom of that carb is for? Is that a vent? Seems like an odd place on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Anyone have a URL on where I can find more info on that carb? Once I had it running, it was running pretty good. Smoking a bit, but running pretty quick considering I'm 220lb and it's made for a kid.

Please help, I need info on that Carb.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fuel Filter location?

Where in the heck is the fuel filter at on these machines? I haven't seen an inline filter anywhere. I know sometimes on jetski's they have the little metal screen filters on the end of the fuel lines that go into the tank, but this doesn't appear to have lines in the actual tank, just connection points on the side and bottom of the tank. So where is the fuel filter located?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default service manual

I got the service manual here, http://www.usservtec.biz/DC_SM/SM_DXL90.pdf
but I didn't even see the idle or air mixture settings for the carbs, nor what the compression should be.

Since you've suggested compression as an issue, what should it be?

Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

>95 psig i would imagine.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Polaristour
So I got it to run by adding a tiny bit of fuel to the spark plug hole. I'm not thinking compression, since it hauled my 220LB gut up a steep driveway. Wasn't happy, but it did that, and ran around the yard just fine.

Problem is it won't start again now. I had the idle set a little to high, and had put the front brake lock on and left it running for about a minute or 2, then it started having some trouble and died. Hasn't started since.

I notice that air bubble in the fuel line again, right where it comes out of the selector switch.

Can anyone tell me what that nipple on the bottom of that carb is for? Is that a vent? Seems like an odd place on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Anyone have a URL on where I can find more info on that carb? Once I had it running, it was running pretty good. Smoking a bit, but running pretty quick considering I'm 220lb and it's made for a kid.

Please help, I need info on that Carb.
The Nipple on the bottom of the carb is the over flow for the carb.

A filter can be placed after the petcock prior to going into the top of the carb.

The sticky they have posted in cleaning and maintaining the carb in the kids section is a great reference for cleaning and setting the carb.

I'm still thinking you have a reed that has a bad seal that is staying open on this. That will be between the black boot and the engine block. It has four screws that hold it down with a gasket. The plastic will crack also and suck air in.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My reason for thinking compression:: You pour fuel in the hole and it raises the compression. It now will create more vacuum which pulls the air/fuel in.
Without enough vacuum, the carb cannot work as intended.
No comp=no vac...
90 comp minimum.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
My reason for thinking compression:: You pour fuel in the hole and it raises the compression. It now will create more vacuum which pulls the air/fuel in.
Without enough vacuum, the carb cannot work as intended.
No comp=no vac...
90 comp minimum.
If you reeds are stuck are open would that not also cause low compression also? The reason I ask is I had one that I picked up and had 30 psi for compression. Ordered new piston and while waiting for it to come in cleaned carb and went ahead and cleaned reed body. Found a straw that had got sucked in the reeds and kept the reed open. Don't know if the owner tried putting gas in it or not. Put it all back together first two kicks started right up. So in long run I wouldn't have spent the $20 for the new piston and rings.

By the way i did take your (LT80) advice and just went ahead and ordered the bearings from suzuki. The part stores have become incompetent.

Quick Reply: eton sierra dxl 90 Carb questions