Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

CDI clarification and help

Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI clarification and help

First off- thanks to these forums I've had some late night fun with a pair old quads I acquired. Had no clue about either one and both were early 2000 Chinese 90cc quads. Picked them up from a friend for $50 each.

After reading the forums regarding a bog down issue on one, I ordered a CDI. Well, that cdi didn't work. But I went ahead and replaced carb and put old cdi back on... And it fired right up. Was excited till I tried to ride. Give it gas and it dies. Both have bog down issues and I'm at a loss.

The quads: 2001 Manco zsr-90. This one I had running the first night. It wants to run and takes off fine but quickly bogs down. I have not tried a cdi on this one. The cdi I bought says it'll fit and it was recommended but it doesn't.

I can't find a cdi with the same type connectors. Pic attached.

The other quad is a Monsoon Nerfdog. Also, 90cc. The cdi matches up for that one but I get no spark when that one is attached.

Sorry for the long post! Trying to be clear and not leave anything out. Which I'm sure I have. Thanks for any help.

JB

Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
I'm presuming these are 2 strokes.
What else did you do to get them running?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!

Yes, Both are two stroke.

I did the basics since they were in good shape. Didn't do anything major. On the Manco I cleaned carb and replaced plug. It fired up pretty quick, will idle and run until a certain spot where it bogs down and dies. I've adjusted the carb every which way I can (I think).

The monsoon took a bit more. This one would just turn over and never fire. Ordered a new carb and the cdi (that I thought would work). I know I was getting spark with old cdi so I tested new one and realized no spark. Put old cdi back on and it fired right up. However any gas to this one and it dies out. It will idle about 10 mins then just dies.

this may be a really dumb question but since these have a kickstart is a battery required? I have a battery in one and its the one that just idles and dies with any gas (monsoon).

Thanks again for any help. I have a 2004 Honda trx250 that is next on the list to fine tune. It at least runs but needs work. Another day.

JB

Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd check the compression if you haven't.
You can also see if the exhaust is plugged.
Battery shouldn't be required.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, good to know about the battery.

Haven't tested compression- guess they sounded so good at idle I didn't go there. Have a buddy bringing a compression tester tomorrow so I can test. Any idea where the compression level should be for them?

Exhaust is clear. I'm still on the hunt for the CDI wiring for the Manco ZSR90. Found owners manual and parts list but not the CDI stuff. If anyone has those or can direct me that would be great.

Thanks again for the help!

JB

Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If it is the engine I am thinking of, you do need a battery. OK it will run without, but that kick start is for emergencies and will wear out in a couple of weeks if you use it exclusively. If you were getting a spark with the old CDI, why fit a new one? Carb problems are a far more common cause of a high speed misfire than CDIs. A new carb will need setting up with the right jets, needle height etc. I would clean the old one out properly, re-fit and see what happens.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Merryman- I'm more of a weekend/late night mechanic- meaning, I have limited knowledge but love this forum and google to get stuff done. I work from a "try and see technique" although that could get expensive soon.

The Manco was the one that would start and take off but then die down. I read a good many posts that the CDI would fix that and for $10 I figured I'd try. When I got the CDI, it didn't fit the Manco but did fit the Monsoon. At the time I had never gotten the Monsoon running so I thought I'd try it (didn't work, so I put the old one back on, put on new carb and it started immediately).

I did a thorough cleaning of the original before and it didn't work. Maybe I should google proper cleaning techniques.

I've no idea about setting up jets and needle height, not afraid to try just not sure how.

All that said, I'm not scared to try anything. I don't have much money in them but would love to get them going.

Thanks for the help and info!