Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

No spark issue from kill switch troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark issue from kill switch troubleshooting

Hello all,

I recently bought a used BMX Loncin 110cc chinese ATV that was lightly used.

It has a no start / no spark issue. I have found out that when you remove the kill switch wire/pin from the 5pin CDI harness plug it will spark and run fine. Obviously this bypasses all the safety stuff and I have to pull the plug wire off to kill the engine.

I've taken apart the kill switch and looked around and see no issues with it. How can I further troubleshoot this problem?

Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect the remote start/kill/alarm if equipped and also tether kill switch then check again as these can be a problem with no spark issues. If no change then you will need to start tracing the wiring to find a shorted wire in the harness most of the Chinese quads I have worked on have all splices in wire right next to each other and very little tape that is usually coming loose. Good luck

Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dammar
Disconnect the remote start/kill/alarm if equipped and also tether kill switch then check again as these can be a problem with no spark issues. If no change then you will need to start tracing the wiring to find a shorted wire in the harness most of the Chinese quads I have worked on have all splices in wire right next to each other and very little tape that is usually coming loose. Good luck
Thank you. The kill switch is working correctly.

I kept digging around I wasn't even thinking about the remote box... I unplugged it and then I have spark! So, the remote box must be faulty. I opened it up and looked around and don't see anything pinched, etc though. Having trouble finding a replacement but at least I know what the problem is now.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Range Rover

They all seem to cause problems. Are not needed unless you just want it on there

Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, I've unplugged the remote module but now I can't kill the motor.

The handlebar kill switch and/or ignition does not kill it. I realized the ignition would not kill it but thought the kill switch would at least work.

If I take a jumper wire from the 'kill switch' on the CDI and just ground it then it kills. So I have a black/white wire and green wire on the kill switch wiring. I thought I'd be able to run a jumper wire from the green kill switch wire to the 'kill switch' wire on the CDI but that didn't work.

How do I get the kill switch to work now???

Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

First no spark now won't stop geez your asking for a lot LOL. If I remember correctly you can loop some wires in that wire terminal but cannot for the life of me recall which ones. Maybe mr Edwards will see this and offer his knowledge on the matter