Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2005 viper 90r

Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ETON Viper 90R

I bought this machine for a good price but it has a problem. I can kick start it but when I put it in gear it stalls. It will not turn over with electric start. I can switch the gear selector switch and hear something clicking towards the back, so I think it is switching gears. The gear indicator lights do not display. When the machine is in reverse it beeps. This quad does not have the optional tether or remote stop device. I checked the wiring harness and its in good shape. All the connectors are tight. I think the cdi box is bad. The guy I bought it from said it hasn't been rode in two years there was no battery and he drained the gas before storing it. Any ideas.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

It may not be anything to do with your problem but the Yam Breeze had a lock-out. If you tried to engage forward or reverse without the brake on, it would cut the motor.

If your machine has a manual gearbox, the clutch may have a fault.

The starter not working might be a separate issue, there are lots of posts on here about how to check the starter and solenoid, or the two faults could be linked if the stalling problem is electrical. However the least likely cause of either problem is the CDI.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by merryman
It may not be anything to do with your problem but the Yam Breeze had a lock-out. If you tried to engage forward or reverse without the brake on, it would cut the motor.

If your machine has a manual gearbox, the clutch may have a fault.

The starter not working might be a separate issue, there are lots of posts on here about how to check the starter and solenoid, or the two faults could be linked if the stalling problem is electrical. However the least likely cause of either problem is the CDI.
^^^^^^ what merryman said.....but I would like yo add. Does this Eton have the slide switch that is used for neutral, forward, and reverse? If so, its electrically shifted. Try this, kick start it, let it idle for a bit, then lower the idle speed.....make it fairly low. I say this because if idled too high, it will kill the motor when you try to shift. Then pull in the left handle bar brake lever, then try to shift.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes it has the slide shifter. I did kick start it and let it idle down but as soon as I move that switch it dies. If I move it to reverse it makes a beeping noise.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Rider1970
Yes it has the slide shifter. I did kick start it and let it idle down but as soon as I move that switch it dies. If I move it to reverse it makes a beeping noise.
The beeping noise is normal, it's what its supposed to do...anyway, if you have all the safetys made, it could be many things. It could be the shifting motor, a forward or reverse sensor, or the CDI. When you try to shift, you do have the left hand brake lever pulled in...right?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you holding the brake when trying to use electric start? Also since its been sitting a few years did you pull the carb and clean it out? Also have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's been sitting for long time so it needs carb cleaning, fresh new oil, fuel line, etc.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

The RPM's have to be at a certain level to shift correctly. Sometimes my daughters idles a little faster with the choke on. I have to let it warm up and shut the choke down some or it will die when I shift it into gear.