Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Some problems with my daughter's Outlaw 90

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some problems with my daughter's Outlaw 90

Got my daughter a 2008 Outlaw 90 for Christmas and we went to an ATV park last Sunday and she did a number on it. Saw one of the big ATVs go through a small mudhole and she went right behind it. It died as soon as she hit the hole, but wouldn't start afterwards.(it was a big splash, lots of steam, but actually only water up to the footboards) I drained the oil, and cleaned the carb. No water was taken in, but I noticed a few problems when I took the CVT belt cover off. #1, is the secondary clutch supposed to be blue? I don't recall it being that color when I had it off last, and I suspect it happened when she was going up a hill and smoked the belt a bit. Is it a problem? Should I replace the belt? (I'll attach a picture to be more clear.)

I also noticed I can grab the secondary clutch and wiggle it quite a bit. Is that normal? I wouldn't think so, but I thought maybe the bearing in the cover is what keeps it rigid? (I'll also link a video of this. It's not great, but I think it gets the point across.)

Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The bells take alot of heat, it's fine.
Yes, cover hold the clutch from wiggling.
The belt will be fine too.
Don't look like your pressure washer is working.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Haha, thanks for noticing. I'm trying to figure out how to get this FL clay-mud off these things. I'm starting to think I went through a concrete puddle.

Is it OK to hose out the inside of the belt cover? I've cleaned the cover, but what's the best way to clean the belt dust out of the case itself?

Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Compared to a new belt that belt is worn.. Look at all the slack. Video won't load up for me,but if in doubt,since you're already in there have a look see.If you need help,the manual has a good section on clutches.2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Compared to a new belt that was is worn.. Look at all the slack. Video won't load up for me,but if in doubt,since you're already in there have a look see.If you need help,the manual has a good section on clutches.2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

​​​​​​W​​​​hen I was checking the wiggle on that bearing I squeezed the sheaves, so I believe that may be where the slack is coming from. But I will check the allowed length. I have a 2007 manual. Should be pretty much the same, yea?

Do you agree with LT80 above that the wiggle is OK?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I clean the inside with brake/carb cleaner.
Belt: With the LT80,wore belts run better than new. Maybe not with your machine. It does look like the belt is down in the cheaves slightly(like you mentioned).
Certainly there is point where a belt needs changed but I don't consider you anywhere near that point.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Compared to a new belt that belt is worn.. Look at all the slack. Video won't load up for me,but if in doubt,since you're already in there have a look see.If you need help,the manual has a good section on clutches.2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

I thought I linked the video. But maybe I did it wrong.

I'm new to this forum. Is there a reason I can't edit my original post?
https://youtu.be/Xk6PcKCep1M
​​​​​​

Old 01-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I can see the video and there is some wiggle room on the rear clutch but like mentioned the cover will take care of part of it. Problem is measure the belt thickness.Service Limit: .626” (15.9mm) is what the manual calls for. I'm just used to seeing Polaris belts this tight.

Attached Thumbnails Some problems with my daughter's Outlaw 90-20160624_095337.jpg  
Old 01-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can see the video and there is some wiggle room on the frar clutch but like mentioned the cover will take care of part of it. Problem is measure the belt thickness.
Service Limit: .626” (15.9mm) is what the manual calls for. I'm just used to seeing Polaris belts this tight.
The width at the widest point, correct?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Measure it in a couple places as belts can wear irregularly. If really glazed or cracked just replace it since you're already in there.If this happens to be the oem belt then somebody's got almost 9 years worth of use out of it.